Saturday 4 April 2015

March review and April plans.

March has simply speed by and left me feeling a little like I've been running up the down escalator. If you've ever tried it you'll know it can be very tiring. However I'm not down or gloomy as March has been a good month, just frantically busy.

I wanted to get my Votes for Women quilt finished and I am so please that this is all completed and now living on Kathryn's bed. However as this is a reveiw I can get away with showing the picture one more time.



Most of the blocks were quilted in the ditch. The border had a large meander and the sashing a leaf trail.


I quilted a daisy on the cornerstones. The binding was in the same fabric as the sashing.



I realised as I was  finishing this quilt that I enjoy hand stitching the back of the binding, especially when the quilt is being gifted. You get to sit with the quilt over your lap whilst you stitch and can enjoy seeing the completed blocks and the quilting. No my least favourite quilting job is finishing off all the thread ends, especially having to keep threading the needle.

MY next goal was to complete my project for the bird hop. For this I made a pillow which will live in John's car along with his bird watching quilt.

I just love the bird fabric.

Next I needed a baby quilt for Mel. For this I used a fabric panel and added a border. Mel was really pleased with it and amazed that I'd made it for her.



I had also wanted to quilt the 'Star Trek' quilt. I still have 4 backs and the border to quilt but I'm very satisfied with the progress I've made. The background of the blocks has a meander pattern and I did a bubble or stone pattern on the sashing. The star trek fabric is stitched in the ditch. I also still have to finish my mini quilt for the quilt swap but the date has been extended until 20th April so that will be finished.



I've been thinking about my plans for April. Obviously my main one will be to finish up the 'Star Trek' quilt. I'm hoping I will finish the quilting over the Easter holiday and then I'll just have the binding to do. This is the project I'm working on for the 'A Lovely Year of Finishes at Sew Bittersweet Designs.

I have another baby quilt to make, this time for a baby girl. Planning a baby quilt is so much easier when you know the sex of the baby.

I also want to make the quilt top from my nine patch rainbow scrap challenge blocks from last year. I made 4 blocks of each colour and they finish at 6 inches. I would like to set this on point but I haven't really given it a lot of thought yet. I tend to lie in bed and mull over quilty plans as I fall asleep but recently I've been so tired I've been asleep before I've had any time to think. I'll probably get all the blocks out tomorrow and see what I think.

My final goal is to get this jacket all stitched together




As you can see it's all cut out and I just need to get it stitched together. I do need to buy some lining fabric for it first.

I'm linking this post with the April goal setting party at Sew Bittersweet Designs

What are your plans for the month? I hope there's some stitching in your future.

Lyndset

3 comments:

  1. You got a lot done, I love your quilt! I feel that March was super fast also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilt is beautiful Lyndsey!!! Try using the needle with the open eye for those thread ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some beautiful work here. I love the Votes for Women quilt, such a great theme for a quilt. The baby alphabet is so cute too, I can see why your friend was so happy with it.

    ReplyDelete