Sunday 2 August 2015

August already?

Here we are already at the start of August. My last post was July 12th and since then I've been busy with work. I can't complain as it pays the bills and also funds my sewing but I have been looking forward to August as I only have two days of formal work all month. I still have work to do but it is about getting everything ready for the start of the new academic year. That means I now have time to catch up on my sewing. I also want to get back into writing my blog so I plan to write a post every day during August.

Last week we had a family holiday. We couldn't quite have all the family with us as Lucy had been on holiday in Greece, with friends from her university days, getting back the day before we set out. However Kathryn and Oliver her boyfriend were able to join us. We had booked a cottage just outside Thirsk in Yorkshire for a week and had all been getting excited about what we would do whilst there. 



The cottage had a nice sized garden which Scamp loved. He spent time exploring and madly running around.


The cottage was very comfortable and proved a perfect base for our holiday. The first day of  our stay we decided would be a rest day as we had all been working very hard and needed a chill out day. John and I went grocery shopping and took Scamp for a walk but otherwise we read  and chatted. It was just what we all needed before we explored the area.

On Sunday we visited Rievaulx Abbey. Rievaulx is a former Cistercian abbey in Rievaulx near Helmsley in the North York Moors National Park. The abbey was one of the wealthiest in England until Henry VIII dissolved it in 1538. It is now a ruin but very interesting to visit.



There were lots of interesting nooks and crannies to investigate. It started to rain while we were there but that didn't affect our enjoyment.


Kathryn wanted a picture of me with Scamp but the only way to get him to look in the right direction was to pick him up.


Kathryn had fun sneaking round the ruins to take pictures of us. We spent several hour here including having lunch. You can read more about Rievaulx Abbey here

In order to show you any more pictures I need to download them from the camera. I think I'll stop here and tell you more of our trip tomorrow. The only problem with the trip was the lack of internet access. The internet coverage was so poor that even our phones struggled to get any connection. For a family who rely on the internet for recipes, blogs, directions, films etc this was a major issue. The up side of this was of course that no one could email us. Emails are great but you can have too much of a good thing.

More on our trip to Yorkshire tomorrow and a little sewing.

Lyndsey

No comments:

Post a Comment