Monday 26 June 2017

A up and down sort of a day.

Yesterday was a very odd day. The best part of it was that the high temperature had fallen and so the heat was much more manageable. The very high temperature have caused a few problems as most houses in the UK don't have air conditioning. To be honesty it is only in recent years that the temperatures have gone so high and even now it generally only lasts for a few days. We are very lucky in that our house tends to stay cool inside in the summer and holds the warmth in the winter. By yesterday evening it began to rain and I got caught in a heavy shower when I ventured out to get some groceries I had forgotten. That didn't affect the temperature and by the time I got home I was dry again.

John woke up with quite a bit of discomfort in his hand and so took some pain killers. A little later he started vomiting, which lasted most of the day.We aren't sure if it was the drugs or if he'd caught a bug, but we are both being extra careful with hand washing since I only had my chemo on Friday. John's feeling much better and has already started grumbling about how little you can do with your dominant hand splinted and bandaged.

In the afternoon Katy came over, as she likes to check out I'm OK after treatment. She finished her teaching course this week and has qualified teacher status but has to wait for the results of her PGCE as they haven't gone through the exam board yet. We went for a walk round the town as she is looking for a dress to wear to a wedding on Saturday. Once we'd completed that we dropped into one of the charity shops. I want to alter some of my clothes that I can't bear to throw out but I want to practise on something else first. I didn't find anything suitable for that but come across two new tops, still with their original shop labels. I'd looked at them last year but they didn't have my size. I decided it was just meant to be and bought both since they were my size, and at a much reduced cost than I would have paid then. I do still need to find some pieces so I can practise my alterations.


I've washed the shirt but it needs a good iron. It will be fine for work which is what I wanted it for. Although we stopped using chalk boards years ago there are still the white board pens to mess up your clothes.  I didn't do a picture of the other top as it is just plain red with a V neck and 3/4 sleeves.

Some slow stitching got done on Beulah but not very much. I've finished the yellow tote and just have to stitch the word crackers to complete the grocery bag.  Next I'm moving on to the pink tote. I'm putting off doing her hair and face. I'm hoping to make her look a little happier. when I get there.


I'm linking this post with Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Stitching Sunday I'm going to see what everyone else has been working on this weekend.


Lyndsey

3 comments:

  1. Your weather sounds similar to ours. It was terribly hot over the weekend, then much cooler yesterday and we even saw some raindrops. This morning it's dense cloud cover. Not a problem. We have air conditioning, but I don't like to run it. Hope John is feeling much better, and that you are doing well. Must feel good to be done with chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you as you heal and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you had good luck at the charity shop, I love when that happens. Your stitching is lovely. Hope you are feeling fine.

    ReplyDelete