Wednesday, 25 January 2017

A Fresh Snow

Marian from Seams to be Sew has organised another blog hop. This one is titled 'A fresh Snow' and is about our winter projects. We were asked to try and use fabrics other than cotton. So this set me thinking... about sewing, winter, snow, snowmen, and in the future spring. Here in London we don't get much snow which is why I'm always slightly jealous when I see lovely snowy pictures on the blogs I read. It did snow on the 6th January whilst I was teaching and the students were hopeful it would keep on all day but we were all disappointed. To get in the mood for 'fresh snow' I went hunting for snow pictures. This was our snow day in January 2014.



When planning for this blog hop I asked myself a question. Is a winter project one that is themed around winter or one you work on during the winter period. This may sound a silly question but it was important to me and what I chose to make. My family tell me that the type of needle craft I like to do varies with the changing seasons. In the winter I'm more likely to knit, especially projects using thicker wool such as aran styles. I also tend to do more dress making. This is usually new skirts to cheer me up through the cold weather or a summer dress in anticipation of the warmer weather. So my decision for 'A fresh snow' was a project I would make in the winter.

This winter I wanted to make a bright and cheerful jacket. The fabric I chose is boiled wool. It feels very soft and certainly suits my love of bright fabrics. It has the advantage that it can also be washed rather than needing to be dry cleaned. I cut this out last year but didn't get round to making it up and so I rescheduled to make it this winter. This fitted perfectly with the blog hop. 


I also needed some lining fabric so a trip to my local fabric store was in order. In the end I had to put an order in to get the right colour. The lining arrived on Saturday so I can now complete the project. I'm please with how it has gone together so far. The jacket is collarless and the fronts match perfectly. It also fits perfectly and I wanted to show you a picture of me modeling it but husband and son were not around when I wanted the photo done.


 With tailoring it's always important to get the sleeve set in without any gathers. This was very easy, having cut the fabric pieces accurately it just fitted together. without any effort.



The other important part of making clothes is to press the seams very carefully so just like quilting you wear a trail between the sewing machine and the ironing board. I really want to get the lining put in and the jacket fully finished so I can start wearing it. It's definitely going to brighten up my work wardrobe and generally make me feel cheerful.

My other project I'd been looking forward to starting is the bag ladies embroideries. These are from an american company Chickadee Hollow Designs. They were ordered well before Christmas and finally arrived last week. The patterns I ordered are pre printed and pre-coloured on natural muslin. I already have a good range of embroidery floss and so was able to get started immediately. I generally use DMC or Anchor threads.

The first bag lady I'm working on is Ernestine and I made a start on her on Sunday.


The patterns come with a paper backing so you have to remove this before you can start work. This needs to be done very carefully so the fabric doesn't start to fray.


The instruction say to use stem stitch or back stitch to do the outlining. I chose to do it in back stitch. Although the pattern tells you which thread to use I chose to use a lighter green to the one specified so that it matched the colour of her coat. I'm going to use a darker green to stitch the buttons. 



This is a great winter project as Scamp can still curl up on my lap in comfort while I stitch whilst watch some television. There are always some new programmes or new seasons to watch at this time of year.

So no snow on my projects but they are definitely the types of projects I love to work on during the winter. The choice of winter projects is a bit like my choice of food - I want things that will make me happy and lift my spirits.

Now you need to visit the other participants today



and finally don't forget the give away.





a Rafflecopter giveaway


Good luck in the give away. It's been great to have you visit and I hope you'll visit again soon.

Lyndsey

33 comments:

  1. I love the color of your coat. The bag lady is very cute, too. Wonderful projects. Thank you for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndsey, your coat is absolutely beautiful and I just LOVE that color. (It just happens to be my favorite color.) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bag lady, and your jacket is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wool jacket is beautiful; love the color you chose. And those embroideries look like they'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did a great job on your jacket. And what cute embrodieries! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jacket looks great! Glad you were able to get started on your bag ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so important to do projects that made you feel happy to craft and to wear. The jacket will be cheerful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great jacket and I love the color. I like your bag ladies stitchery project...quite the set of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great color for your jacket! I'm going to try to squeeze in some time (between quilting) to make a jacket too-wish me luck! Thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. What a nice, spring green and cozy to contrast with all the snow. We're getting lots of snow this winter in Utah, USA.
    reillyr2(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the color you choose. boiled wool is really warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the jacket, the tailoring looks superb. The color is perfect, I would wear that color myself. The bag lady patterns are to cute... I may have to pick those up for myself. Thank you so much for sharing your project today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice wool jacket. And I love the color. Have fun finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful color for that wool jacket--I used to make all my own clothes--even jacket-but don't anymore--have to spend all my time on quilts--and I think those bag ladies are a 'hoot'!!
    enjoy the moments-di

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your drawings are fabulous! Great job on the jacket! Never made any clothing but I have been eyeing these wonderful wools to make some wraps with! I now have a serger so life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new jacket looks wonderful and the colour is very cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful jacket and that Bag Lady is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely jacket. I used to have a boiled wool jacket years ago and loved it. The bag lady is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your lime green jacket will surely chase the winter woes away! Great job indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely jacket in a nice color. Your work is very neat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous. Love the colour. It reminds me of spring!!Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great jacket...that's ambitious! And love your bag lady project. Those will be cute when done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the bag lady hope to see it soon in pictures. ..happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the bag lady hope to see it soon in pictures. ..happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the Bag Ladies! Your jacket is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I no longer sew my own clothing, but when I did, setting in the sleeves was always my biggest challenge. Your sleeves are perfect. Thanks for sharing your suit project.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very nice and I love the color of your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The jacket is lovely and I love that color. Goes nicely with the bag lady you are doing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, now if that jacket isn't my favorite color. I love bright and bold jackets to keep we warm in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that beautiful jacket. Lime green is one of my very favorite colors too. That does look like a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the color of your jacket, your bag lady matches your jacket.

    ReplyDelete