Tuesday 18 July 2023

Picnic Party

 


Welcome to Picnic Party. The challenge  - to make something to use on a picnic.  I liked the theme of this challenge, I mean what's not to like. Picnic means summer, sitting outside enjoying the weather, maybe going to the seaside and having a paddle or somewhere near a river or waterfall and of course there is food.  Thank you Carol for coming up with such a great theme.

I decided to make a small quilt. I own a little two seater sports car that is perfect for me and John when we go on adventures.


The car has a small boot but our picnic basket fits perfectly. To make our picnics perfect we needed a picnic quilt. 

The starting point was some Tilda Garden Life fabric. I had to cut the fabric into squares before I could start sewing.


The fabrics are so cute and perfect for the quilt. It took me a little while to lay out the squares and get them how I wanted them. Next was some easy sewing as I sewed the squares into rows and then joined the rows. I used some brown fabric I had for the backing. This fabric had been in my cupboard for ages and so needed to be used up. I also found some red fabric for the binding. The quilt went together quite quickly. I decided to do straight quilting and stitched the binding on by machine. The finished quilt is very cute and a riot of colour. 

I was very pleased that I managed to get most of the joins matching perfectly.


There is a quilt we use for picnics in our family car. I made this quilt a couple of years ago and as you can see it is larger. We have enjoyed some fun family picnics and hopefully there will be more this summer.


Now you need to go and visit the other blogs taking part today. Here is the full schedule. I can't wait to go and visit everyone. Tomorrow I should finish a major work project and then I can relax, do more sewing and catch up with reading quilting blogs. Yipee!

19 comments:

  1. From CQ4Fun for this blog hop! Your little car is so adorable, and I can imagine the picnic basket and quilt. Thanks for sharing this great project. Looks wonderful, as does the larger one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your floral-fabric quilt is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun picnic quilt! Who knew our sweet little Lyndsey sported around town in a hot red sports car! So jealous here. LOL!! Wishing you many years of fun picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two great picnic quilts. I love Tilda fabrics, too. It's so neat to see all those fabrics in one place. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That car looks so fun to go on adventures in and your new picnic quilt is a perfect addition for fun times. I love the fabrics and the binding brings the car and quilt to a nice little combo. Thank you for sharing your pretty quilt, Lyndsey, and enjoy those trips and fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have two very lovely picnic quilts. Nice little sports car, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your picnic quilts are great! Have fun in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new picnic quilt is very pretty, almost goo nice to sit on. That's rather a classy looking car you have, you know of course that red cars go faster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely & reminds me of how I made my first ever quilt, long gone now. Love your little red sports car & red cars are the best. Hope you enjoy mnay picnics on it this summer. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picnic quilts! And I love your little red car. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lovely quilt using Tilda fabrics. It looks as if your picnic now needs tea, scones and some sandwiches without the crust! Thanks for sharing a gorgeous finish and i'm loving that cute car you drive!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much to love about your post. The very cool car, the Tilda fabrics - I really enjoyed reading it. And the quilt is just beautiful! And you already had a picnic quilt that you've used - I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quilt! Your fabrics are so cheerful and bright, perfect for a picnic. Love your car! I used to have a TR6 and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You would be in a field of gorgeous flowers when using that pretty picnic rug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your small quilt is perfect for a fun picnic. Your car is also really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those Tilda fabrics and your other picnic quilt also! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete