My new project for September is a mini quilt that I have made for a swap. I actually designed this swap in August but didn't start to make it until September. The idea came from a painting I did back in 2004 of a clematis growing in our garden. I slightly altered the design to fit the quilt which had to be 12 inches square when complete. So the starting point for my quilt was this design.
I drew the design full size to make it easier for myself.
To do the appliqué I used freezer paper onto which I traced the design. I cut out the leaves individually from the freezer paper but cut the flower as a whole item. I ironed the freezer paper onto the fabric I was using which I had previous backed with iron on fusible. I used the lightest weight fusible I could find as I didn't want the design to be stiff when completed. I cut round the freezer paper template, peeled off the fusible backing paper and ironed it in place on my backing fabric. I should have taken photos of the different stages but unfortunately didn't think of it until I had finished. However I will remember next time.
I stitched round the outline of the petals and leaves using buttonhole stitch and chain stitch. I used three strands of stranded embroidery thread for the outlines. Once that was done I added detail to the leaves and used Portugese knotted stem stitch for the stems using all six strands of the embroidery thread to give a thicker stem. The knots add a lovely texture to the stitch. Finally I stitched pearl seed beads and thread beads to the centre of each flower.
I used heritage cotton wadding and the quilt is hand quilted using a variegated thread that picks up the pink and the green from the flowers and leaves. To pull the whole design together I used the same green fabric used for the leaves as the binding.