I haven't join in with one monthly goal for a while, but this month I decided to join in as it might help me complete the Austen Family Album quilt. This quilt was published on a blog run by Barbara Brackman, starting in March 2014 and had 36 blocks. I started making the blocks in 2016 but progress was slow. Last year I decided I needed the quilt completed and out of my store cupboard. I completed the blocks in November 2020 and start stitching them into rows in December 2020. I'm not sure when I completed that process but at some point last year I added the border and made the quilt sandwich. I also made a start on the quilting but once again the quilt stalled after I'd completed 6 blocks. Over Christmas I quilted some more blocks and finally finished at the end of January. Well, I thought I'd finished but I found there were 16 pieces of sashing I hadn't completed. My goal for February was to complete that quilting and the wide border plus add the binding. Having finished the sashing I turned my attention to the wide border. This quilt was 108 x 108 and very difficult to handle on my machine. I can't remember why I added such a wide border but I decided to cut it down to 2 and half inches wide. This made the quilt feel more balanced and slightly easier to handle.
So I've completed my February goal and I've almost finished stitching down the binding. I do need to make a label for the quilt and give it a proper name. This quilt is staying at home. I have an old quilt, that we use in the living room, that is starting to fall apart. I've mended it several times but now we need to replace it. This quilt will be perfect as the replacement. I do need to take a photo of the quilt but it will have to wait until I've finished the binding as I will need to take it out somewhere to get a good photo.
I'm linking this post with Patty from Elm Street Quilts for her One Monthly Goal Finish link up. Meanwhile I'm off to work on the binding.