Monday 7 August 2023

Some more Quilts.

 I said I'd show you more pictures from the Festival of Quilts. I really enjoyed seeing so many quilts in one place. I took photos of the quilts that particularly caught my eye for whatever reason. This first one, I forgot to take a photo of the label so I can't tell you who made it. The quilt stood out from the quilts around it.


The next three quilts are the work of L'Merchie Frazier, who is a multidisciplinary artist who explores themes of Black identity in the Americas and beyond. The first one was made in 2018 and titled 'Who's in my neighbourhood? It is made using nylon fibre, photo print and machine stitching.


This second quilt is called 'Just Us!  Made in 2019 using nylon fibre, pellon, ink, and machine quilting


I don't have the title for this final quilt by the same artist but this was my favourite in their gallery. 



This following quilt was shown as part of 'For the Joy of Sharing' These quilts are being shown to be seen and not judged. The category was added for quilters who just want to share their creations. This quilt was made by Sue Dusart from Bognor Regis in West Sussex UK and is titled 'January Leftovers'. It is machine pieced and quilted on her domestic sewing machine. 


The next quilt is also a 'Joy of Sharing' quilt. This was made by Warley u3a, Craft and Textiles Group from Brentwood Essex UK. It is titled 'Enjoyment of a Full Life and was made to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the u3a group and the activities they enjoy.


Another Joy of Sharing quilt made by Tryst Patchwork Edinburgh titled 'Circles Through Time and Technology'. The makers were exploring sewing techniques using circles.


Another Joy of Sharing this time by Jenny Griffin from Southam, Warwickshire UK.  The information about this quilt states that Jenny was given a book - Simply Redwork by Helen Stubbings, and was wowed by her Penny Square design. The title of the quilt is Penny Square Quilt. I love the little embroideries on this quilt.


I was very pleased to see this quilt. It is called 'The Red House' This was a block of the month project from The Quilters Guild. I was pleased to see it because I have started this project but have managed to forget all about it. Seeing it has reinspired me to do more work on my version. This quilt was made by Brenda Otter and Lynda Edmunton from Abergele UK. The design, The Red Manor House is by Jenni Smith and Kay Walsh.
.

The next quilt was part of the Group Challenge. It was made by Sowing Bee Scarborough, North Yorkshire UK and is titled Sowing the seed. The idea came from fabric showing seed packets. The group has 10 members.


I still have more photos to share with you but I'm putting this blog post together at the end of a busy day and I've run out of energy, so I'll do another post tomorrow or Wednesday. Although I looked at all the stalls and enjoyed stroking and looking at all the fabrics and threads for sale I didn't buy any. Instead John and I bought each other a kit to make an appliqued mini quilt. They are just too cute when made up to miss. I originally bought John this project of Goldfinches and teasels.



Then I decided I wanted to make one as well so we chose the Kingfisher.


I'm not sure when we will start putting them together. John thinks we should wait until the longer colder evenings. Whilst the weather is warm and sunny it is very pleasant to be outside.

Over the weekend I started making a summer dress. It is from a pattern I have never used before so I cut up an old sheet to make up the bodice to check it will fit properly before cutting my main fabric. I have now sewn the bodice in the proper fabric and it is looking good. 

Yesterday we had an invitation to the birthday party of the owner and chef from our favourite restaurant. It started mid afternoon and carried on until the early hours of the morning. Richard was also invited and he got home at 4 a.m. We left much earlier have eaten and drunk too much. There was a lot of food including a large paella.


Lucy has been away in Greece as she was a bridesmaid at her friend's wedding. She has just arrived home following a very delayed flight home so I need to stop typing and listen to her stories of the last few days. It sounds like she had a great time.

Take care

Lyndsey







2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying this quilt show. Will look forward to seeing the next post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red work quilt from the show. Interesting that both you and hubby will be working on wall quilts, has he done this before? Good on you sewing a dress, I havent done that for goodness knows how long. But I do have several lenghths of dress fabrics tucked away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete