Sunday, 26 July 2026

Friday and Saturday sewing.

Friday came at last, Yipee! This week has seemed to go on forever but even though the week felt long I have had limited time to do any sewing or even read my book. I love to go to bed a little early and read for 20 minutes to half an hour before settling down to a good sleep but even my nightly reading time hasn't happened as the week has been so busy and tiring. At work I got roped in to help with interviewing and we had graduation which I went to as I had students attending. It's very nice to see the students at graduation and to meet their families. Two full days of teaching and  and an examination board meant my 4 working days were very full this week. It was a delight to be able to sleep in a little longer on Friday morning. Not for too long however as I had to take Missy to the vet for her yearly vaccinations. She was very calm about the whole thing and really liked that the vet gave her several treats. 

Once back from the vet I did a little reorganisation of my sewing notes. I like to keep track of what I've worked on and how far each project, has progressed. Once the notes were up to date I could set up my machine and continue the quilting on the frog quilt. I've now finished all the pieced blocks and on Saturday I quilted the stitched blocks as well. I did a trail with loops on these blocks. I've been hunting through my stash for a suitable fabric for the binding but I couldn't find anything that would work so I'll need to buy something when I'm at the festival of quilts next week.


Having finished the quilting I set about sewing some more curves. I haven't cut out all the shapes I need for the double wedding ring quilt, as it is a little painful on the wrists. I'm cutting groups of 10 and then sewing them together. Unfortunately I haven't yet moved on from instruction 2 and so there is no need of another photo.  I can't wait to get onto a new instruction! Here's the photo I posted earlier in the month.


When I'm at work I try to take a walk around the park across the road. The cygnets are quite big now and there is only 4 but I couldn't get a good photo. There are other families on the lake and here are a couple of photos . This was quite a large family to try and keep together and they are all very young.

The second family are slightly older. 


The park is a beautiful place to walk and I like to eat my lunch watching the various birds but just recently it has been too hot to sit and eat so a walk round the lake has to do.

I've already told you that I went to graduation on Tuesday. The event is tiring but the students really enjoy it. The graduation was held at Twickenham stadium, the home of English rugby. Normally as we come out of the ceremony we go down to the pitch so students who want to can have photoswith the pitch in the background. It always looks beautiful but this year it was a wreck. This year the pitch is being renewed. The pitch was installed in 2012 for the 2015 Rugby World cup cycle. The surface was a high-tech Desso GrassMaster hybrid pitch. I'm not sure what that means but if you are a rugby follower you may know or you can ask Google. The excavated base and rootzone materials are being repurposed by Chiswick Rugby Club to rebuild their grass pitches.In addition fans can win commemorative boxes containing genuine grass from the pitch. For those of you who follow rugby here is a photo of the pitch as it was on Tuesday.


This evening (Saturday) whilst in my sewing cupboard I found some red and white striped fabric which is perfeect for a binding. It's now attached to the frog quilt and will slowly be stitched down by hand. I wanted the binding to be in a different colour to green blue or tan and this gives a perfect pop of colour.


Today I'm going to work on my tablecloth or maybe the goldwork sea horse. I haven't made up my mind but I think I'll do a little work on both of the projects.

Take care

Lyndsey 

No comments:

Post a Comment