Wednesday 17 July 2013

The gentle purr of the sewing machine

What a joyful sound...the gentle purr of my sewing machine. Not a sound that has been heard this month, well not since the 3rd July but now I'm free from the heap of marking that had to be done and once the examination board is over tomorrow I've finished work for the summer. The biggest decision is where to start as I've got several new projects to get started.

At work two colleagues have welcomed new babies to the family. The first little girl arrived at the beginning of the month to the sister of one of my colleagues. As I didn't have time to make a quilt I looked through my little stock and pulled out the schnibbles 'Gentle Art' 



So this little cuddle quilt has gone off to a new home. Meanwhile my colleague wants me to teach her how to make a quilt.

The second colleague came back from paternity leave this week following the birth of his daughter. I've seen a pattern I want to make but didn't download it so I must do that. I have a charm pack I'm going to be using.



I know I'm going to use the windmill fabric for the backing and the yellow solid for the sashing but I'm not sure about the other yellow and pink for the bindings. I'll wait and see once its finished.


I'm sorry the photo quality isn't very good but I recharged my camera battery today and was looking forward to using it. When I put the battery back in nothing happened. I've tried everything to make it work but it just doesn't turn on even though the battery is fully charged. I did find a paragraph in the manual that says in very rare circumstances the camera may not turn on and to contact your supplier or the manufacturer. So I'll take it to the camera shop on Thursday. It's still in warranty so there isn't a problem.

I spent some time this afternoon sewing and pieced the top of the baby quilt. The pattern is by Elizabeth Hartman for Sew Mama Sew from 2009 and has simply flown together. I can recommend it if you need a fast baby quilt.


The pattern doesn't have side borders and so it is ready to be made into a quilt sandwich. I'm hoping to get that done on Thursday.

I've also got a parcel to collect and I'm hoping it is my 'Love your dog' quilt kit. I can't wait to make a start on that.

As it's Tuesday I'm linking up with Connie at Freemotion by the river for her Tuesday linky party. Seems like ages since I last linked up. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has been making and catching up on all the different posts I've missed over the last two weeks.

I've really enjoyed sewing today. Work tomorrow, cleaning on Thursday and then lots of lovely free time to sew.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. Loving what you have pieced for the baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for you to have free time for sewing. I will look forward to seeing that finished baby quilt the fabrics are soooo cute. Love the Charm Pack. The pieced baby quilt is cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful baby quilt, love the fabrics and of course your Gentle Art quilt will make a perfect gift! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute quilts! My sewing machine must think I've gone AWOL! I've used it only twice in the past nine weeks and certainly not since I started taking painkillers. But soon they'll be completely out of my system and it will be time to re-introduce myself...

    ReplyDelete