Monday 1 July 2013

Stamp on it.

Welcome to my day on the Stamp on it hop. I should have posted last Thursday but unfortunately my computer developed a fault and just wouldn't work. Now thanks to my son all systems are go again. I have no idea what he does to make it work again. As soon as he starts to remove the screws on my laptop I go and find something very important to do so I don't have to watch. 

So before I show you what I made I would like to thank Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt for organising the hop and to Thearica Pig Tales and Quilts for being a superb cheerleader. Thank you Thearica for re-arranging the schedule so I could post today.

I spent some time thinking of different things I could use on my stamp to represent London. Maybe Buckingham Palace or St Paul's Cathedral or just the skyline. Unfortunately I threw out these ideas as they were rather complex. I then thought about making the stamp about me but I really wanted it to relate to London and the UK.

Whilst browsing through Barbara Brackeman's Civil War Quilts posts I discovered a block called London Square. You can read about the history of this block on Barbara's blog. The colour scheme was no problem as it had to be red, white and blue for the colours in the Union flag. We had to include the cost of the stamp and I put 60p which is the current cost of a first class letter. 

I made my stamp into a mug rug. It is big enough for two mugs to sit on. I'm taking it to work tomorrow to protect my desk. It will make a pleasant change from just putting my mug on a pile of papers!



The mug rug is quilted in the ditch and the writing is machine embroidered. I forgot to take a photo of the back but I just used the blue fabric.

When I showed my son he suggested I make several to take on our Guide trip to Switzerland in August. We try to take a few small light items to give as presents. I like this idea and will try to make several. I will miss off the postage price but will add our Guide unit name.

This hop has also started me on another project. I want to make some table mats and I like the idea of making them as an envelope with a stamp. I'm currently working on the stamp designs. I find these blog hops always set me off on another project. 

Now you need to visit the rest of today's participants. 

Quilt Matters

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle 

Patchouli Moon

The Slow Quilter

A Loose Thread

Janes Fabrics and Quilts

Selina Quilts

Debby Kratovil Quilts

Dancing Thru Threads


It has been a pleasure sharing with you today, please come back and visit soon.

Lyndsey

50 comments:

  1. I love your block. I am making a civil war quilt using Pam kitty Love fabrics and I enjoyed making the london Square block. yours if very cute!
    jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stamp and how you made it into a very useful mug rug! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree these would make great presents. I wish I had the patience to quilt like this. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is'nt it amazing how one idea spins into another and another and on and on. Great job on your oh so British flag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will certainly be great presents. Your mug rug is awesome. Thanks for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice way to put your Stamp (under) on a mugrug.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice stamp. I would have thought of England with those colors anyway! Yes, I know that block, London Square. Perfect for your stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your patriotic mug rug. It's very colorful. From California, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the idea of putting into a mug rug...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. Such crisp clean lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea to make it into a useful mug rug; nice stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great looking mug rug stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice mug rug. Clean, simple lines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job. Love your new Mug Rug.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice = and good idea to hand out as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mug rug stamp is really pretty! I love red/whit/and blue anyway you want to do it. You have a big job ahead of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like your mug rug stamp! Good luck on the gift giving front. Thanks for sharing. vickise at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. How pretty and fitting! Yes, they would be a great gift for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mug rug is beautiful...love the colors and design! Using them as gifts is a wonderful idea and I'm sure they will appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lindsay....a mug rug and stamp...kudos for your idea....why did I not think of that lol....so pleased you made it..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! I like the colours and design. Great idea to make these as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. fabulous mug rug! you did a wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Stamp mug rug is one of the best ideas I`ve seen. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! You had me smiling about using it on your work desk---better than a pile of papers, any day! Your son may be on to something as well encouraging you to make some as hostess type gifts. Glad you two were able to get passed the computer glitches so you could post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute mug rug. What a great idea to take to work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You already have my mailing address so I won't add it here!

    This is fabulous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very appropriate and good looking stamp. I like your son's suggestion to make more as gifts; they would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice job, great meaningful design :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much!!!! awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great stamp / mugrug!!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea to make as gifts, the colors are great and represent the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Terrific stamp. Great idea to make mug rug. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Somehow, I missed your blog this morning. I'm glad I rechecked things this afternoon. Great mug rug.... clean and simple..... very eye pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely stamp. How patriotic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can't go wrong with red white and blue! Nice clean lines, and who can't use another mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your stamp! you used some of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hooray for the red white and blue........Britain or US......

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very nice and I love your color choice, too. Have a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  39. A lovely stamp very patriotic colors. Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great stamp! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great job on your stamp, very patriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a great way way to show off your stamp. And a wonderful giftie for a tour guide too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. great stamp and such a useful way to use it as a mug rug.
    thanks sew much for sharing with us
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the design! And the colors. They work for us Yankees too!

    ReplyDelete