Today is the first day of the latest hop from Madame Samm at Sew We Quilt. Samm does an amazing job of coming up with the ideas for the hops and the organisation. Sew We Quilt is most definitely;
and provides us with lots of ideas from these hops and a chance to share our projects. Madame Samm does not work alone. Each hop has a chief cheerleader who keeps us motivated and on target. For this hop the incredible Amy from Sew Incredibly Crazy has given support and advice and kept us all in order. Thanks Samm and Amy, great work ladies.
Now on to the topic of the hop - 'One for the Boys' For this hop I had a few items to draw my inspiration from. First there is the computer. My son loves his computers and in particular his Lenovo Think Pad. Recently he bought himself a new one. My son likes to keep his belongings neat and tidy and would not be happy to find a scratch on his computer.
Item 2 was some fabric I had bought.
The skulls fabric is a Michael Miller design and the robot fabric is a Rebekah Ginda design. When I bought a half metre of each fabric I didn't have a project in mind I just knew I loved the fabric.
The final inspiration is my not so little boy, my son Richard. He doesn't particularly like having his photo taken so we don't have many and he wasn't sure if he wanted his photo on my blog but when I said I wanted to post this one he readily agreed. This is 6 years ago when he spent the summer working at Downe a Scout camp site. The older gentleman is Bob who was the climbing instructor and they spent a lot of time chatting. Richard has a gold nose and bear whiskers painted on his face but unfortunately they don't show up very clearly.
Yes they are the long and the short of it. Richard is 6 foot 5 and Bob is quite short.
Richard asked if I would make him a cover for his computer. It normally lives at home but very occasionally he will take it to work. He always carries it in a shoulder bag but wanted something to protect it from scratches.
I had originally planned to use the robot fabric on the outside and the skulls for the lining but that seemed such a waste of a fabulous design. Therefore I used both fabrics for the out side and also lined the flap with the skulls.
To protect the computer further the main pocket is lined with fleece. Here is the computer sniggled in it's fleecy lining.
To make the cover I cut all the pieces for the outside and assembled them into a long strip which I then quilted using 100% cotton batting. I choose to do a random box shaped pattern for the quilting. I didn't worry about the squares being perfectly square. Here is the quilting from the batting side as it doesn't show up very clearly on the front. The pattern makes a change from a random meander pattern.
Once I'd decided how I wanted to make the cover it went together very quickly and looks good. I don't think the computer will be suffering any scratches when snuggled in it.
Now you need to visit the others who are sharing their projects today.
Thank you for visiting me and I hope you'll visit again soon. I can wait to see what everyone has made.
I hope you all have a good Wednesday.