Sunday 3 November 2013

What's happening in November?



Last month was a good month and I completed all but one of my goals. The 'Happy Anniversary' quilt has gone to its new home and I'm feeling a little lost without it. That means I need another large challenge to replace it. I also finished the second block for the 'It's a dogs life quilt' so time to get the next one organised. You can see the post about my October goals here

Last Thursday was Halloween but this year we didn't have any trick or treat visitors so I have sweets to eat. This coming week on November 5th here in the UK we celebrate Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night. This night celebrates the failure of the plot to assassination King James 1 by blowing up the House of Lords. The event is celebrated with bonfires and fireworks and the whole week tends to be rather noisy. I shall be celebrating at my sewing machine. I'll keep the curtains open so that I can see the amazing fireworks that will light up the sky but I have several projects I want to get made so sewing takes priority. Picasso finds the fireworks fascinating and likes to sit at the window and watch them but Scamp doesn't like the noise so likes a lap to sit on for company.



Also this month my Brownies and Guides will take part in the Remembrance Parade that takes place this year on November 10th. Remembrance Day (11th November) is about remembering service personnel who have given their lives in the line of duty. There is always a lot of discussion about who should carry the flags and who should carry the wreathes.  

So what's happening on the sewing front this month?

Goal 1 (and my goal for a lovely year of finishes) Complete the top of the Grandmother's Choice 'Votes for Women' quilt. I am making this quilt for my older daughter Kathryn. The blocks were posted weekly on Grandmother's Choice until August this year. There are 49 blocks in all and I am a little behind so need to get them finished. Here are some of the blocks I've completed.



I'd like to have this quilt completed in time for Christmas.

Goal 2 Complete the next block for the 'It's a dogs life' quilt.

I've got the pattern fixed to the fabric and it's all ready to go.



Goal 3 My NewFO project for November.

Earlier this year Lucy my younger daughter bought a pattern to make a quilt for her friend Jennifer.The pair have been friends since they met as 3 years at nursery. Lucy wanted to make this quilt for Jennifer's birthday present but she has been too busy. I've agree to try and get it done for January when Jenny will be visiting Lucy.

The Pattern is by The Rabbit Factory.



The light pink at the back is definitely for the background but Lucy hasn't fully decided the other fabrics she wants to use.


The pattern is a mixture of appliqué and pieced blocks. I'm looking forward to getting started on this.

Goal 4 Quilt the Dulcinea schnibbles I made earlier this year.


I have already made up the quilt sandwich and it just needs quilting.

Goal 5 Make my projects for the blog hop I'm taking part in this month.

There are several other things I would like to get done but I think I'm going to run out of time so I'll leave it at that.

What's happening in November where you are? Have you planned any goals for this month? I'm linking this post with Melissa at Sew Bittersweet Designs for their goal setting party of A lovely year of finishes and I will link with Lynne at Never too hot to stitch for her November link for '2013 The year of the finished Project'  which will open on Thursday.

Here in the UK it's midnight so I'm off to bed as I want to be up early.

Lyndsey


2 comments:

  1. Lots of goals of beautiful projects! Hope you had a great Bonfire night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun projects. I really like the fabric choices you've got for the NewFO project. I started the Grandmother's Choice quilt along and got really far behind. But mine is going to need to wait till next year to see any more progress. Good luck with your November goals.

    ReplyDelete