Sunday 10 September 2023

Feeling happy

Life has been busy recently but also I just haven't felt like doing much. The heat doesn't help but mostly it was because I needed to make a decision about my Guide groups. I have been running them since 1995 and I'm not getting any younger. I realised I had stopped enjoying the meetings and couldn't wait for the evenings to be over. That was not good for me or the girls. Lucy has been my assistant leader for some years and she was also feeling it was time to move on so we have resigned and we are both loving our decision. I need to close the bank accounts and clear our cupboard at the church where we meet, which I will do in the next couple of weeks. Having set everything in motion I feel much happier and yesterday I cleaned and sorted my sewing storage and made plans for my projects. I have so many half finished projects and loads of new ones I want to start. Life seems much calmer and happier so let the sewing commence.

I have finished two small projects started for the blog hop starting on the 18th September. I still have one item to finish. Friday, as my none working day was meant to be an all day sewing day.  Having visited the Festival of Quilts and seen a version of the Red House I decided I wanted to work on the next round of this quilt.

The next round involves the paper pieced arrows, and the appliqued sheep, birds and flowers. I started by cutting the background squares and then pulled out the fabrics I wanted to use for the other items. I photocopied the sheets I needed for the paper piecing and the templates for the applique pieces. I already had some fusible bonding web so I used this to cut out the shapes and then ironed them onto the back of my chosen fabrics, ready to be cut out and attached to the backing fabrics. The pattern uses needle turn appliques and raw edge applique. I prefer doing raw edge applique but I will give needle turn a go. You always need to move forward and learn and perfect new skills.

Yesterday, having cleaned and tidied my sewing storage I had planned to do some quilting on the bag ladies quilt but the heat was intense so I did some fabric cutting instead for the dinosaur quilt. I also pulled out my embroidery projects and I found a little kit to make rugs for the dolls house that I had been given. I didn't particularly want to make two rugs or use the pattern but I am using the canvas and the thread. I made a start on this yesterday evening and will be working on it today. This is my slow Sunday stitching work. It is nice and simple to do.

Although I haven't been doing much sewing I have worked on the dolls house and have added the dormer windows to the roof.  The attic is now fully decorated and has flooring but I need to varnish it. I need to order the tiles for the roof but that involves working out how many packs I need. I need to work out how many square inches of roof there is! It shouldn't take long to do but I will get John to check my calculations.

I bought a couple of bits for the house and one of them was a female mannequin for the sewing room. The stand need to be sanded and varnished but I thinks it's rather cute.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching party. For now I need to change the water in my flower vase as the heat has made it cloudy. The flowers are managing well in the heat and giving off a beautiful perfume.

Take Care


No comments:

Post a Comment