Tuesday 19 June 2012

Update on work in progress

Yesterday I spent a little time reviewing my various projects and identifying how far I had got with each of them and I thought I would share this with you.


My project that is way behind schedule is my millennium sampler. I was given this as a present for Christmas 1999 and thought I would have it finished by the end of 2000. However life got in the way of this project and here I am 12 years later still working on it. The good news is that since starting this blog in April this has really moved forward and I am starting to think that this will be the year it is finished. I find posting about what I have done spurs me on to complete things. This week I have completed the space shuttle. As you can see there is still a lot to do.




I thought I would share some detail with you. First the space shuttle.


Beneath that is the hot air balloon of the Montgolfier brothers. I am really pleased with how this project is looking.


Not sure why this photo has a darker strip across it but it certainly isn't there on the cross stitch.


I have moved forward on the quilt I am making for Lucy using the old patchwork quilt pieces I was given and mixing with the stamp collection blocks. I have cut the patchwork pieces into 12inch blocks to match the stamp collection blocks. Just need to make another 4 blocks of each. I am also trying out quilt as you go. I really like the ease of quilting a 12 inch block.


This afternoon I started the quilting on the baby quilt and I hope to have that finished for tomorrow as Indie is visiting us and I will meet baby Isobel for the first time. The grandmothers garden quilt for my daughter is slowly growing. This is my travel project as it is so portable. I am up to about 40 'flowers'. My Dresden plate quilt is also waiting to be finished. The blocks are completed but I need to stitch the strips for the sashing.

My knitting projects are also moving forward. The hexipuffs pile is slowly growing and Richard is excited about his blanket. Unfortunately I haven't done any knitting on my jacket. Part of this is because the ball of yarn is so big. I am going to divide it into smaller balls which will make this a more user friendly project as I will be able to take it with me when I visit friends for coffee.

My other failure to finish is my daughters rabbit. I had planned to have him all repaired by the time she finished university for the summer. However he is still awaiting the final bits of work. I am hoping to complete this next week.

However my failure to finish projects doesn't stop me starting something else. I have cut the blocks for a quilt for Linus. Although we have finished the Guide project for Linus my Brownies are still working on their quilts and this won't be complete until later in the year. I decided to try and make 3 larger quilts to go with their work as I did for the Guides. I will also try and knit a couple of baby blankets.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsey -
    I like the shuttle seems appropriate since it has just been retired. A blog does help push things a long a bit
    I swung by to see what you have been doing and also to let you know I added a link to your blog on your comment so people could visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found blogging helps to get those UFO's out of the cupboard, so you're on the right track.

    Sharon Boggon is having a WIP (Work In Progress Wednesday) on her blog. Anyone can post a blog link and it's like an informal sewing club where we're motivated to make a little bit of progress each week. Here's the link, if you're interested:

    http://pintangle.com/2012/06/20/work-in-progress-wednesdays-sewing-bee/

    (Her whole website is incredible....)

    ReplyDelete