Friday 8 September 2017

Mariner's Compass Top

I'm feeling very pleased with myself today as I finished the Mariner's Compass top. John bought me this kit for my  2016 Christmas present 


The kit was featured in Today's Quilter and was the result of a collaboration between The Quilter's Guild of the British Isles and Marcus Fabrics. The Guild has built up a collection of antique and contemporary quilts from around the British Isles. One of the pieces in the collection, the Mariner's Compass Coverlet provided the inspiration for the quilt and the fabric range.

The Mariner's Coverlet was made by Mary Dennis who was a farmer's daughter. She made the coverlet before her marriage to Richard Cann in 1828.The quilt inspired a fabric line called Elizabeth's Dowry and Sally Ablett used it to design and make the compass quilt.



Today I finished the cornerstones and added the final borders. I lay it on my bed to take a photo since the rain had set in so no  chance of a photo outside.


I'm pleased with how this quilt has worked. there are a lot of points involved and whilst one or two of them are not completely accurate, the majority of them are. I was worried by the 80 flying geese needed but in the end even they went together easily. This top will now be put away for some time as I need to rest my right arm following surgery and build up my muscle strength slowly. I'm not to lift anything heavy for two to three months and with the size of this quilt once the quilt sandwich has been made it's going to be too heavy for me to handle easily.  

My other sewing today was to make another block for the Austen family album quilt. The block still needs to be trimmed but I'll do that once I've finished making them all.


I'm linking this post with Amanda Jean for Finish it up Friday


Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the Mariner's Compass finish. It is lovelier than I imagined it to be. It will certainly be an heirloom when it is totally completed. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete