Sunday 7 March 2021

Sunday stitching

Yesterday was a good day. The sun was shining and so John and I went for our walk around the cemetery. Although the sun was shining the wind was cold but it felt like an early spring day and it was a pleasure to be walking. The birds were singing and flitting from tree to tree. We did three circuits which is 3 miles. That felt good as I haven't done much walking this last week.

Back at home I needed to bake some bread before I could get to the sewing machine. Last March when the UK went into the first lockdown, bread was in short supply but it wasn't a problem as I had a supply of bread flour. I started to bake bread regularly as time went on. I find it a relaxing activity, especially the kneading part. In between the various stages I am able to get on with other jobs and at the end of the process I have a really tasty loaf of bread. Once the bread was made and I'd put it to rise I set up my machine. 

Lucy has asked me if I would make a baby quilt for a friend of hers. The baby, a girl, has already been born and the family will be moving in the near future. Lucy would like to gift the quilt before they move. We spent some time chatting about what she wanted me to make and she decided she would like a scrappy quilt. We decided on a 16 patch pattern and so I spent the afternoon putting together 12 blocks.

I took care to press all the seams as I went along as it makes it easier to join the rows accurately. The blocks are almost spot on for size but a couple need a tiny bit trimmed off. Now I need to put the top together which involves cutting the sashing and borders.

Today is Olly's birthday so we drove over to Katy and Olly's flat where we had a front garden / doorstep meeting. Katy had made a delicious Guinness cake and we enjoyed a slice of cake and a cup of tea before driving home. Since my car was serviced in September I have only driven just over 1000 miles, which is way down on my usual mileage. I must report that I really enjoyed the drive even though it was only 10 miles each way. This week I need to go into work in Reading so I'll enjoy a drive down the motorway. I hope it's sunny for that

This afternoon I drew out the next Pride and Prejudice block.  Sherry and I are working on the block on the top right of the top row this month.


I still need to finish block two which is the middle block of the top row. The two pride and Prejudice blocks will be my one monthly goal for March.


This week is another busy work week but I have made a plan to enable some stitching to happen every day. Normally I plan my work for the coming week carefully but last week I didn't make time for the planning stage and the result, no sewing time. If it goes to plan block two should be finished by the end of the week and then I can move on.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching  and Patty from Elm Street Quilts for her One Monthly Goal link up.

Take care

Lyndsey






5 comments:

  1. As an avid Jane Austen fan, I find your quilt to be especially appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to celebrate and visit together. Love your quilt and the Jane Austen embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute scrappy baby quilt. I plan to trace my block today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be a darling baby quilt, Lyndsey. SEW sweet of you to make a quilt for your daughter's friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made a great start on the baby quilt. Guiness cake? That sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete