Sunday 27 June 2021

A sewing afternoon.

I'm finally starting to get confused with this working from home. Since the first UK lockdown in March 2020 I have mainly been working from home and teaching online. Briefly, between October and December 2020, and since late April 2021, I have been teaching face to face on alternate weeks.  Yesterday, Saturday, I thought it was a work day and was surprised, but very happy to find out my mistake. That meant I could have some sewing time in the afternoon. Before then we had Richard's birthday to celebrate. He was working in the evening and so we had a family lunch. It was great fun and Richard enjoyed himself

In the afternoon I got my machine out as I had a dress to sew. I'd already cut out the pattern pieces and read all the pattern instructions. The bodice has princess seams, which I don't remember making before, and I'd been warned they can be difficult to fit. The instructions tell you to baste all the seams together so you can try it on and fit it properly. Here is a picture of the pattern.



By the end of the day I had basted the pieces together. I need to tweek the fit on the bust when I get another sewing afternoon. That won't happen until Wednesday as I'm in the office on Monday and Tuesday.


I'm happy with how this project is going. I was warned princess seams are difficult but I'd also forgotten that having had a mastectomy would make it more difficult. The prosthesis doesn't give the same fullness to the side of the boob as the real thing. It's a good job I like a challenge.

Today being Sunday I've been working on some some slow stitching. I've started making another Luna Lapin. I've been asked if I would make a couple of these cute rabbits and I said I would make them as Christmas presents. With six months until Christmas this is the perfect time to make a start on handmade gifts. The first rabbit I'm making will be white with red batik for the paw pads and ear lining.


Scamp wanted to be in the post today. He thinks he and Casso are under represented on the blog. 'Mom no one wants to know about your sewing, they want to know about your fur babies.'


He was so determined to have his photo taken he climbed on my lap.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching

Take care

Lyndsey


 


5 comments:

  1. Of course Scamp needs to be in the blog. Just gently tell him that we also need to see sewing photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty dress and darling pup photo, Lyndsey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly admire sewists who can create clothing!
    Great job on the dress!
    Good luck with the Christmas projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress & it's a while since I saw one with the princess seams. Well done & good luck with the finish. Maybe Scamp should learn to sew too & give you some help(giggle). He's very cute. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Scamp, I think he and Casso should feature at least once in each post! I bought the Luna Lapin book quite a while ago and I've bought all the materials I need to make her but still haven't got round to starting this project. I'm not a sewer at all and I'm more than a little daunted if truth be told but I'm sure I'll give it at go at some point.

    ReplyDelete