Sunday 5 December 2021

Slow Stitching.

Yesterday John and I took a walk around the local cemetery. During the lockdowns this was our go to venue for walking. A walk around the perimeter path is one mile and usually you see lots of birds and sometimes foxes. Yesterday was sunny but with a biting wind so we decided on two circuits. There were a few wild flowers but not a lot else. We saw about 6 magpies and a few pigeons. Most of the trees were bare of leaves but the grass was long and very green as a result of the rain. The walk was very refreshing and enjoyable.

Back at home I set about completing the cushion I'd started. I'd laid the tree shapes out to work out the layout. The final layout is slightly different.


I found a small piece of wadding that would do the job and with that attached to the front piece I was ready to get on. I needed to cut some fabric for the tree trunks and then I used my baste glue to hold the trees down whilst I stitched them. I used a straight stitch for the applique and I stitched in the ditch between the border and the centre panel. Next I sewed the backing pieces together before completing the cushion. I've just popped some wadding in the completed cushion so I could take the photo. I need to tidy up the threads and I'll need to buy a cushion pad this week.

In the evening I started the stitching on the penguins. I started with the border as that was the first colour thread that came to hand. It does mean there isn't much to see so far. This is a small piece so shouldn't take very long. I may even get it all finished today.



Plans for today include taking Scamp for a walk. This week his outdoor activity has been short trips into the garden since we have had a lot of rain. Fortunately being a small elderly dog he doesn't need a lot of exercise but he does enjoy his walks. Today rain is predicted but at the moment it's dry. Unfortunately Scamp's health is deteriorating and the lump on his muzzle has grown. His left eye is being pushed a little by the growth so he looks a bit squinty on the left side of his face. He's not demonstrating any signs of pain and is eating well so our vet is confident he is comfortable and still enjoying life. We are all rather sad as his prognosis is probably 3 to 5 months so we are giving him lots of cuddles and treats and making sure he is happy. Scamp is my constant companion when I'm sitting and working on the computer or hand stitching. He's currently curled up on my lap whilst I'm typing.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching link up. Do pop over and see what people are working on.

Take Care

Lyndsey



2 comments:

  1. Lovely Christmas Tree cushion just in time for the festive season.
    Poor Scamp, I do feel for you as you watch him slowly deteriorating, all you can do is keep him happy and pain free with lots of cuddles and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, to you re your precious Scamp. It is so sad when our pets begin to deteriorate in old age. I am afraid I would not get much of a workout in a cemetery as I always love to stop and read the headstones. Your Christmas cushion is delightful. Love the mix of pretty fabrics you used for the trees.

    ReplyDelete