Sunday 5 December 2021

Virtual Cookie Exchange Blog Hop.

 Today is the start of the 2021 Virtual Cookie Exchange Bog Hop. Thank you Carol from Just Let me Quilt for organising the hop. I can't wait to get some more cookie recipes.


Our favourite sweet treat is Millionaires shortbread. We don't have it very often as it's quite calorific but I always get asked to make it for high days, holidays and birthdays. The recipe remains the same but I alter the chocolate topping. Usually I just use milk chocolate but sometimes I add dark chocolate and sometimes white chocolate



I've told you about this treat before but I've never shared the recipe. Here it is if you want to make it. I'm sorry but I don't have the imperial weights. If you want them leave me a comment and I'll add them on my next post.

For the shortbread. 

250g plain flour

75g caster sugar

175g butter

Mix the flour and the sugar together. Rub in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs. Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough, then press into the base of the 20-22 square prepared tin with sides. Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Leave to cool in the tin.

Caramel

100 g butter

100g light muscovado sugar

397g condensed milk

To make the caramel, place 100g butter or margarine, 100g light muscovado sugar and the can of condensed milk in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Continually stir with a spatula to make sure no sugar sticks to the bottom of the pan. (This can leave brown specks in the caramel but won’t affect the flavour.)

Turn up the heat to medium high, stirring all the time, and bring to the boil, then lower the heat back to low and stirring continuously, for about 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool.

For the topping, melt 200g plain or milk chocolate slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Pour over the cold caramel and leave to set. Cut into squares or bars with a hot knife.


I also made some cinnamon treats.  I love cinnamon and it certainly tastes like Christmas.

I've still got a lot of preparation to do for Christmas but I have time to try out other treats so I'm looking forward to visiting the other blogs taking part. Here is the schedule.



24 comments:

  1. I like shortbread but adding chocolate hmm these may become my new favourite. Thank yoy for the recipe and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look yummy! Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Those cookies look great (especially the chocolate...lol...but I love cinnamon too). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! I love it just as it is, and I'll just plug the measurements into a conversion table on Google. I can't wait to make this for my Hubby. Those cinnamon cookies look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I gained 10 pounds just looking at that Millionaires Shortbread. It looks delicious! I definitely need to add this to my list of baking this year. I'll do like Linda said and use the conversion table. Thank you for sharing, Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that Millionaires Shortbread looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking treats, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this shortbread looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that shortbread looks amazing. Straight to the hips amazing :D I love shortbread and I love chocolate, the combination makes this a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK that does look like a special holiday treat. You know when all desserts become calorie free tee hee. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Millionaire's shortbread looks delicious. I can do the conversions, but what is muscavado sugar? I was wondering if I could substitute brown sugar. The description sounds similar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies look delicious. I have made this recipe with brown sugar as muscovado sugar is not sold in grocery stores near me and with semi-sweet chocolate on the top. I like your idea of adding white chocolate and dark chocolate. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyndsey, your Millionaires shortbread looks amazing. I think I just gained 10 pounds looking at it. YUMMY! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have me at shortbread, but all the Millionaires to it and I'm in heaven. It looks devine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see what you mean by "calorific" but lovely just the same

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love shortbread, but have never made it, as no one else in the family likes it. DS2 loves cinnamon and we jokingly call my pumpkin pie "cinnamon pie" because of all the extra we put in! Could you share the recipe for those cinnamon treats?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lyndsey! Thanks for sharing your family's favorite Christmas (or any holiday) recipe. It looks yummy. Merry Christmas to you and your family. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing. Your cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh the millionaires shortbread looks deadly! I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy cookies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my! All of my favorite flavors in a single cookie; I must give these a try. Thanks for sharing, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the recipes, they sound and look delicious. That Millionaires shortbread is one I would love to bake myself.

    ReplyDelete