Sunday 31 July 2022

Slowing down with slow stitching

There has been a lot going on at Sew Many Yarns over the last couple of weeks and as a result blog posts never got written. By the time I had space I was so tired I went to bed instead. I've seen a lot of my grandson Aubrey, one because he is adorable and loves a cuddle but also to help my daughter. Young babies are difficult at the best of times but in a heat wave it has been more difficult. Our house is old and in hot weather stays cooler than most, so daughter and baby have visited more frequently since their flat is very hot. 

Missy has also found the heat a struggle and keeping a puppy cool is just as tiring as a baby. She has enjoyed spending time in the paddling pool but that has meant muddy trails though the house and a continually wet dog. She was neutered just over a week ago and since she is such a bouncy and excitable dog it took a lot of energy to keep her calm. Frequent short walks helped. She has now been signed off by the vet and she can commence longer walks so hopefully she will be less bouncy in the house.

Work has also been full on with graduation ceremonies for the students who have completed and resubmissions and retakes for some students. The graduations are great fun and a chance to meet my student's families. I also love the ceremonies as a chance to enjoy the clothes and shoes the graduates chose to wear. The summer dresses have been very colourful and stylish and some of the heels are so high!

I've been making time to do some sewing and I finally put Aubrey's quilt top together. I unpicked what I had done before, cut different sashing and finally ended up with a top I liked.


Since taking that Photo I've made the quilt sandwich and started the quilting. I've used the paw print fabric on the back. I gave my daughter the choice of two fabrics and she chose the paw print because it is so bright and colourful.

I have also sewn the 4 inch squares together ready to cut out the pattern pieces for my quilted jacket. 


I still have to decide what fabric to use for the back and this is why I haven't moved forward yet. I think I will have to buy some fabric which might have to wait until next weekend. I could use this polka dot fabric since I have enough, but it makes my eyes go funny.


I haven't done any slow stitching since I finished the last of the blocks for Aubrey's quilt. I do have several projects that need finishing and I finally picked the Christmas cross stitch to work on. This is where I've got to so far.


I really want to complete this piece but I no longer particularly enjoy cross stitch. For this reason I'm going to try and get as much done as I can before I become bored and put it away to finish another day.

I've also started reading again. I go through phases with my leisure activities. I will read a lot for several months and then not pick up a book for ages. With sewing I need several projects on the go as I like variety in what I'm making. Since it's a hobby and being done for pleasure I don't get worried about how long it takes to finish, unless there is a deadline for a reason. Anyway, as I said I've started reading again and try to fit some in at lunch time and also during the evening. 


I liked this book, with it's  dark humour. It's about loneliness, betrayal and finding yourself single again.
The author also wrote The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.


I enjoyed reading Esme's autobiography and I love her as co presenter on The Great British Sewing Bee. She is slightly older than me but I recognise a lot of her experiences in London after university. 


I've never read anything by Harlan Coben but I'm pleased I've found him as I enjoyed the story a lot. I'm going to watch The Stranger on Netflix to see how the story was dramatised.


This final book is another new author for me. I've only read a few chapters so far but I've already been sucked into the story. It's a good job I've got back into reading because I pile the books I'm planning on reading on my bedside table. The pile had got ridiculously high and was in danger of falling over especially if I knocked the table. I'm surprised Missy hadn't knocked them over. 

This afternoon I want to some cutting. I have a lot of scraps and I want to cut them into usable squares I'll probably spend an hour or so as I also want to cut some pieces for the dinosaur quilt.



I've also got a lot of catching up to do with the blogs I follow. I feel like I have moved away and lost touch with my friends! I won't have time to read all the posts I've missed but it will be fun to catch up on the goings on in blogland.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching

Take care

Lyndsey



2 comments:

  1. I hope you continue with the cross-stitch. It looks like it will be very pretty. Aubrey's quilt looks great. I like that you are making a black and white patchwork jacket. I look foward to seeing it. You are reading some interesting books. I added a couple to my reading list. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Noah's Ark is coming along well, will you be hand or machine quilting this? I enjoy watching Esme and Patrick on TV, we are having repeats of the earlier series and I'm happily rewatching these. Her book looks interesting. I've read a few of Harlan Cobans books too, and only recently discovered Kathy Reich series, have you read any of hers?The dinosaur quilt looks fun, lots and lots of pieces though, it seems. Keep cool, and enjoy your time with that beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete