Monday 8 May 2023

A busy weekend

Another long weekend thanks to the coronation bank holiday. It should have been a 4 day weekend but I had to go into work on Friday.  I didn't have any set plans but I did want to watch the coronation. That didn't happen as we had visitors. I will watch it over the next few days, as and when I get time. I did see some of the broadcast on Saturday and I enjoyed the bits I saw. Once our visitors had left I set about cleaning and tidying a cupboard in our bedroom. I'd been meaning to do this for ages but never had time. I need to create some more room for storing my sewing projects. It's surprising what gets stored away in case it will come in useful. I got rid of a lot of junk and created some valuable storage space. Having done that I was tired and opted to do some hand stitching during the evening. This is part of my project for the rose coloured glasses blog hop  that starts on the 15th May. 

Sunday was warm and sunny and a bit of me wanted to work in the garden but I also wanted to get on with sewing. I started on part of my blog hop project. Obviously I can't show it to you but here is a quick peek at a bit of it.

 

Having finished my machine stitching I decided to do a little more cutting in preparation for starting the dinosaur quilt. The dinosaur blocks are made in six different colours and so far I have cut the green and blue fabrics. I wanted to cut the lavender fabric, which would mean I was half way through the cutting phase.


To make sure I use the right fabric in the right place I have labelled each piece. This is just the first cut. When I reach the point of starting to sew I need to cut these pieces into smaller pieces ready for sewing. I still have three more lots of fabric to cut and I will be ready to start on the next phase..

I have been trying not to start projects unless I've finished one but during my sorting I found two patterns that I really want to make. The first one would be a present for a gardener I know.


The finished size is 92 in x 72 in. I love the pieced vegetables and there is some embroidery to do as well. This is a row by row quilt so can be made in stages.

the second project would be for me. It involves rather a lot of curves, and I'm not very good with curves but I really want to make this quilt.


If I decide to make this quilt I should be an expert on curves by the time I finish it. Whether or not I start these two patterns I need to make another baby quilt. This time one of my student's wife is pregnant with their first baby. They are both very excited. The baby isn't due until later this year so there is no rush to get the quilt finished at the moment.  I also need to make a donation quilt as I haven't made one recently. This will help clear some of my stash as I'm trying to reduce the amount of fabric I have stored away.

Tomorrow is a work day but I'm working from home and so that frees up some additional sewing time since I have no travelling time. I do need to check exactly what I'm teaching tomorrow before I go to bed. 

Take care

Lyndsey


1 comment:

  1. One busy lady with work, visitors & sewing projects. Look forward to seeing progress on your top two projects & good luck when you start sewing the "curves". Not my best thing either, though I should push myself a little more. That garden pattern is one I've seen before and love it, though it is very large which has put me off. Just thought..............we could always make it smaller by picking which bits we really want to do..................hmmmm, now that has me thinking. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete