Monday 2 May 2016

Design wall Monday.

It was lovely to have an extra day off this week. May is a fabulous month with two bank holidays, the first one being today. It meant I had an extra sewing day. First I got on with my project for the little quilt swap and my 'Let's book it' project


Let's book it 2016

A while back I saw this quilt on one of the blogs I follow (I can't remember which blog).



This pattern is called  Stairway to cat heaven. I got the pattern free from McCall's Quilting the October 1997  issue and I've been thinking about making the quilt for about a year. Being sensible I knew I didn't have the time to start another quilt but I felt sure I could make this into a small quilt for the quilt swap. I started by going through my blue and purple scrap boxes and this is what I ended up with.


I need to unpick and resew the third row up from the bottom as the seams are off but otherwise I'm happy with this as my base. I have my black cotton to use for the cats. I need to shrink the cat templates and I will probably do that at work as the printer/photocopier will make short work of the job. I also need to find a yellow fabric for the moon. I'm going to add a narrow border so I don't lose any of the picture when I bind it. The swap quilt can be between 10 and 16 inches square. The background fabric is 14 and a half to finish at 14 inches.

Having made the backing I put that to one side and made up one of the cushion covers. I had quilted around some of the logos on the fabric already so I needed to stitch the front and back together. 


Richard is really pleased with the cushion and can't wait for the other 3. I'm hoping to finish another one tomorrow.

This evening I've been doing some more knitting. I'm almost back on track to get this finished on time. I'm linking the post with Judy at Patchwork Times

Back to work tomorrow. I really should have done some work today but stitching was much more fun.

Lyndsey


2 comments:

  1. What a fun way to spend the Bank Holiday. I did plenty of stitching and watched a film with my son.
    I love those cats in the quilt block and the Star Trek fabric is a great for the avid Trekker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lyndsey, I love the cat heaven pattern. Am besotted with cayts, especially black cats.

    ReplyDelete