Sunday, 24 April 2016

Saturday scrappiness and sloooww Sunday.

On Saturday I'd planned to spend the day making some blocks. No planned is not the quite word. I'd been dreaming, and looking forward to a whole day of making blocks when at 10pm on Friday night I decided to check my diary for next week. Arrrgg I had forgotten that on Saturday we had a university open day for potential students and I had agreed to help. My happy feeling quickly evaporated. In the event the open day wasn't too bad. There were enough enquiries to keep us busy but also time to chat with colleagues and the whole thing ended at 3 which still left some sewing time. 

First I hunted out my orange scraps and got cutting. I 'm making five granny squares a month for my Rainbow scrap challenge this year using 2 1/2 inch squares. I wasn't sure about how well the different fabrics would play with each other but once I'd finished them I liked the way they look.

Having finished these blocks I decided to make the final colours I'd missed from 2015 RSC. I made 6 inch churn dash blocks last year and I missed the purple and the brown blocks. I like making the churn dash blocks and they look so pretty. First the purple,

and next the brown.

I've now made all the blocks for last year's monthly colours but I will need to make some additional blocks to make the quilt the size I want. Not a problem since I still have lots of scraps!

Having finished up the blocks it was time to prepare dinner and I put my machine away for the day. After dinner we watched some television and I did some knitting (until I feel asleep) 
During the evening Kathryn phoned to ask if I wanted to go to an exhibition at the Imperial War Museum. Well I'm always willing to visit exhibitions and museum so the answer was of course yes.

The plan was to get to the museum for about 11 am. Since it isn't very far on the tube I left home a little after 10. The tube was standing in the station and as I got on the tannoy said the train was being held as there was something on the line. Eventually we got going and all was looking good until about 4 stops down the line when we were stopped once again. An animal had been reported on the line and so all the power had to be turned off. As the tunnels inter-connect the trains were stopped in both directions. After about 20 minutes they suspended the tube and we all left the train. I decided to go home as I didn't fancy making the journey by bus. The walk home was quite pleasant  and helped towards my total steps. I'm trying to do 10,000 steps every day but it is very difficult when I'm working.

Once home I had some housework to do and Lucy popped in for a chat. After that I was free to get some stitching done. I'm still stitching the binding on the baby quilt, but I should have it finished later today.  

I'm also working on the catitudes cross stitch. The area I've stitched is white on white.Hopefully by next week most of it will be done. I have a plan for this piece of stitching so I need to get a wriggle on.

 A little later this evening I will also do a few rows of knitting. Its growing but quite slowly. Not surprising since there are over 250 stitches in a row.

I'm linking this post with So scrappy and with Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching

I've had quite a bit of sewing time this weekend and I'm looking forward to having more time this week.. I hope the weekend has been good for you. 


1 comment:

  1. All's well that ends well... you are "churning" out the blocks and got some exercise in, as well. All together a wonderful weekend... even if things didn't go exactly according to plan!