Tuesday 30 May 2017

A busy Monday.

Yesterday was supposed to be a sewing day. A day when me and my machine were reunited for some serous fabric playtime. Then I looked around the house and realised I wouldn't settle to sewing until I'd done some cleaning, and laundry. With the laundry my role is to feed the washing machine and then hang it all on the line. Lucy, bless her does the ironing. This is really helpful as I've never mastered the art of ironing sitting down and standing these days is rather tiring. Lucy sets something to watch on her laptop and just ploughs through the shirts and dresses. We've removed all unnecessary ironing from the process but there always seems to be something lurking in the bottom of the ironing basket.

I also seriously needed to vacuum. We were only away for one night but Picasso seems to have slept on every chair leaving a dark haze of cat fur over them.  He usually loses his winter coat quite quickly but this year it has been quite drawn out, probably due to the temperature fluctuating from hot to cold and back again. He also only likes being groomed in short bursts and then he's gone.

John also wanted to plant up some pots to put outside our french windows. We had bought the plants before we went away but hadn't had a chance to plant them. They looked good when he had finished.

A mixture of Geraniums, petunias, begonias, fuchsias and lobelia.

So this morning when I got up I was adamant I was getting some sewing done today. First however we took Scamp for a walk over the common. Then at last it was time to sew. I didn't get much done, four blocks in all, but it all helps move the project forward

The blocks are for my Mariner's Compass quilt that I started in January. I need twenty star blocks in all and I now have 14. Just another 6 to make and then I can trim them and stitch them together.

Tomorrow I'll try and get another couple done but I might not as I'm planning on spending a little time with Karen, one of my friends. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have all 20 made.

This evening I continued to work on Ernestine. Not much left to do on her now. I need to do her hair and face and her little dog. I only have until Wednesday before I put her away to start on the June bag lady or maybe I'll just finish her up and then move on to the next one. 



  1. What perfect points on your star blocks! I loved seeing the photos of the Morris designed embroideries at the Standen House. Women after our own hearts. Thanks so much for sharing.

  2. Well, I'm glad you finally got in some sewing time. I'm afraid I'm going to take a while getting back to mine when we get home from our trip. We have two trees waiting to be planted when we get there. Fortunately, that's Mike's job, but there's still plenty for me to do too. Enjoy your sewing time. Your stars look great.