Monday 23 July 2018

Christmas in July


Carol from Just Let Me Quilt has organised another great blog hop. Thank you Carol. I love Christmas and so wanted to be part of it. To get into the mood I put up the tree.


Now all I need are the presents.

I had two projects I wanted to make for this hop. The first I've completed. Quite a while ago I bought a Christmas panel as I thought it would make a great wall hanging for our hall during the festive season.


My Christmas tree is always decorated in Red and gold. This panel had the gold in it but lacks the red. However I decided it would add a touch of elegance to the hall. It took me ages to decide how to quilt it. I decided to quilt round the baubles and the vase. I also stitched snow flakes down the background.


I decided to bind the panel with red and gold to tie it into the rest of my Christmas decorations. Quilting round the baubles makes them really stand out.


I thought I had stitched round all of the baubles but looking at the photo I can see I missed a couple. Back to the sewing machine.

My second project hasn't progressed very far. I was only supposed to be working 2 days for the last two weeks and that left 3 days for sewing both weeks. More than enough time to complete the project but the reality was that I worked for 5 days both weeks  and we were away overnight on the middle weekend. So much for planning! 


The pattern I'm making is Scrappy Friends. 

Scrappy Friends Quilt

The star blocks are all made. The background is white and the stars are deep green. I'm adding an extra row of blocks to make it a square quilt. It's two weeks until my holiday when I'll be able to get this quilt finished. .

With Christmas in mind, whilst in Salisbury I bought a new decoration for my tree. It's made of Olive wood and is about 4 and half inches tall.


Here's the schedule for the hop. Go and start celebrating Christmas early by visiting them all. I can't wait to see what everyone has made.

July 23



July 24


July 25


July 26


July 27



Is it too early to start buying presents?

Lyndsey


33 comments:

  1. Love the scrappy quilt 😍 and its never too early to buy Christmas presents, just remember where you put them 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it....you made that panel come to life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on completing the Christmas tree. I know how you feel I was only supposed to work four days last week give me Friday to work on my project, end up work 5 days plus extra. It throw my plans out the window. I look forward to seeing project 2 when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lyndsey! I love what you did with the panel. I would have dragged my feet, trying to figure out how to quilt it myself. Great job on highlighting the ornaments, and finishing it with a red binding sure does make it match your decorations. It will look so pretty hanging in your hallway! I love the fabrics you selected for your second project. I will follow you so I don't miss the reveal when it is finished. Happy Monday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting really helps make that panel come to life. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all set for a festive Christmas;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your panel turned out quite elegant. Can't wait to see the other project completed. Love your tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Put up the tree?! Now, that's dedication. Both projects are well on their way and I know you'll be so pleased when December arrives to have two new things to showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really got into this hop by putting up your Christmas tree...I love it! That panel is gorgeous and looked even more amazing when you finished quilting it. It really is a classy piece of art! Great find with that ornament. There's so much detail in it and it's mind boggling that the carver could accomplish that. Thanks for joining in the hop and helping us get in the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful panel! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s a very pretty panel, and it will be lovely in your hall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful panel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way you've quilted the ornaments to make them pop! And snowflakes are perfect. Our best laid plans...don't always pan out, but now you're well on your way to creating your Christmas quilt with months to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely tree and panel! You will get the other one finished when your work schedule allows. It is going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a lovely panel. you did it justice. i have an olive ornament also. it is a depiction of the manger. my mother in law brought it back when her and her husband visited Europe. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a beautiful panel. Love that you stitched around the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a lot of ornies to stitch around. No wonder you missed a few. LOL!! What a pretty print though. Love your new project. That's going to be fabulous in holiday colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's never too early to start buying Christmas presents! Your wall hanging is beautiful! Great job of making the ornaments and vase stand out. Love the fabric you have chosen to make your quilt. Can't wait to see it. It's never too early to buy Christmas ornaments either, and you bought a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I buy/make presents all year long! Your panel turned out to be a beautiful wall hanging, and the binding is perfect. What a lovely thing you'll have to add to your decorating this year. I like your plan for the second project, too. The ornament is wonderful - another great addition for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your panel is so pretty! Love your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I start buying presents now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You really enhanced the panel perfectly. Love it. It is always fun to quilt a panel and great practice too. I love presents and it's never, ever too early to start.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful panel, and your quilting looks great! And you're right, it is never too early to start buying presents. Just don't forget where you've hidden them. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think your panel is definitely elegant. I buy and make gifts year round, so I don't think it's ever too early.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice ty for charing your talent with us.... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like how you added some red to the mostly gold panel to pull your theme together. No, it is never to early to start buying Christmas presents. Thanks for hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That panel is wonderful. Love the quilting. You are right the ornaments really pop with the quilting. Your soon to be quilt will be stunning. Great fabric choices. And last but not at all least, the olive wood ornament is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice projects, great idea on quilting around the baubles on the tree as it really does make them stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your red and gold wall panel turned out lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful projects! I love the new ornament, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete