Sunday 6 January 2019

Sunday is for sewing

Yesterday was a funny sort of a day. It was cold but dry so in the morning we set out with Scamp to go for a walk around the common. We'd walked about half a mile when Scamp decided he didn't want to go any further. He may have been tired as Richard had taken him for a longish walk on Friday but that doesn't usually stop him wanting more. It could have been the road works at the top of the hill as Scamp doesn't like changes to his favourite walks. Anyway we took him home and then set out on our own. On the way to the common I dropped into the local fabric shop to pick up some thread and size 12 machine needles.

Back at home, after a cup of tea I pulled out Alex's quilt. When I last worked on this quilt I'd quilted 1 and a quarter rows ( there are 4 in all). I wanted to try to finish the rest of the row and the next row. 



I stopped before I'd reached the end of the row but this morning I managed to finish that row and do about a third of row 3. The quilting should be finished by the end of next weekend at the latest. 

Yesterday evening Katy, Lucy and I went swimming. I haven't been swimming for several years and I was also a little nervous of swimming since I use a breast prosthesis and I don't have a swimsuit to take one. In the end I didn't bother with the prosthesis whilst I was swimming. The pool was very quiet with only a few women in the pool. We'd chosen to go swimming during the women only hours. We were all a little worried that we might have forgotten how to swim but we were all fine. The down side hit this morning. We all had aches and pains from using different muscle groups to our usual activities. We've decided that for January we'll go swimming once a week and then if we enjoy it and can fit it into our week we'll swim twice a week.

Yesterday I received this months subscription box with this cute charm pack and the yardage. The box also included a box of pins and a table cloth pattern. The charm pack is called Voysey. Charles Voysey (1857 - 1941) is well known for his work as an architect but his early work was as a designer of wallpapers, fabrics and furnishings in a simple Arts and Crafts style. The Voysey collection is inspired by archive products in the V and A Museum. 
I really like the table cloth pattern and will probably make it next weekend. 


 As I told you recently I undid the jumper I'm knitting for John. This week I've been doing some knitting everyday and this is how far I've got.


The sleeves were knitted up to the shoulder shaping on ordinary needles but the main body is knitted on a circular needle. I find this quite hard going as the wool is heavy and it puts a lot of strain on my right arm but I am determined to get this finished in the next couple of months.

Finally I made a start on the bottom border of my millennium sampler. I haven't done very much but as you can see I've used the wrong thread for the centre of the scroll (bit down below the kangaroos legs). I'll unpick that bit before I restitch it later tonight. If I make simple mistakes like this I'll never get it finished.


I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching Pop over and see what everyone is working on.

I'm back at work tomorrow and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up my exercise plan and my stitching but I'll work it out somehow.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. Your projects are lovely and peaceful. Wow! You seem to be a fast knitter! Beautiful yarn! Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back to work tomorrow too....we CAN DO IT!!!! I especially like the charm pack tablecloth pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would call it a creative thread choice not a mistake :)
    Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are coming along nicely and look great.

    ReplyDelete