Saturday 10 October 2020

Forget the housework, I'm busy sewing.

I wasn't working yesterday and I had my sewing all planned out but a major IT glitch and a few student issues and that disappeared. All was not lost as I had nothing special planned for today, except the housework so I closed my eyes to the ironing, dusting, cleaning the kitchen floor and set up my machine instead. My goal for October is to get the Christmas table topper to the point where it has been fully pieced and I've completed the quilting. This is where I'd got to when I last worked on it.


I needed cream fabric to finish the top so when out shopping last week I popped into the local fabric shop. I cut the cream squares I needed and I was ready to go. All the other fabric was already prepared. John had decided to do some ironing so as I finished the seams and needed to press them I had to disturb him. I felt a little guilty about enjoying myself doing sewing but he very kindly told me I deserved my sewing time.. Having stitched all the fabric together there were 8 holly leaves that needed to be cut out and appliqued on at the corners. I used gold thread to do the applique. I liked the way it looked when I'd finished.


My next job was to pull out my wadding and find a backing fabric. I have some left over red Christmas fabric but I will have to join it as it isn't wide enough. I'll do that tomorrow, get the quilt sandwich made and hopefully start the quilting.

This evening I want to work out the rest of the Grandmother's garden quilt I'm making. I have been fitting this quilt in small gaps of time when I'm in the mood to work on it. I need to make a plan to get it finished. I also need to finalise the rest of the pattern. This is where I've got to. There are a few other flowers that I've added but not many.


If I have time I'm also going to cut some more leaves for my Autumn table runner.


I have had such a good day. Sewing really does leave me chilled out and relaxed. Next week I'm going into work on Monday and Thursday. On Tuesday and Wednesday I will do some sewing during the time I would be driving to work. It's such a better use of time. 

Tomorrow I really must do some house work but once that's out of the way I can start the quilting.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. Love the Christmas table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas top in so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous projects, Lyndsey! Here's hoping you make some additional progress after the housework is done. I'm looking forward to seeing your Holiday topper all quilted up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun sewing day you had. Love the Christmas top.

    ReplyDelete