Friday 12 July 2024

Cutting fabrics and 'Warrior'

Where has this week gone? It seems to have flown by and I was just thinking back over what I have achieved so far. It felt like I'd spent very little time doing any hand crafts but when I put a little effort in I realised I have moved projects along slowly. On Wednesday I got home from work earlier than usual and I pulled out the fabric for the next set of dinosaurs.

I love the bright fabrics that I'm using. By the time I needed to make a start on dinner I had prepped 3 dinosaurs. Everything is labelled so I get the right size pieces for the right places and hopefully they will get sewn together this weekend. These will make into triceratops. I have 3 more lots of cutting to do.


On my knitting project I am just short of the armholes on the back. It's rather slow going as an old repetitive strain injury in my wrists has raised its head again. As a result I am limiting the length of time I knit. The jumper should still get finished by the autumn when it will be needed.

I also made some more pompoms and bunting plus I've added flowers to the Grandmother's garden quilt. This all means that over the week I have managed to fit some stitching in everyday, and I've also read a book towards my 2024 reading challenge. So far I've read 14 books so I'm a bit behind if I'm to read the 30 total I set myself. This is a personal challenge so I'm not worried if I don't read that many books.

A while back I told you I had lost some of my photos from our visit to the historic dockyard at Portsmouth. I spent some time searching in my photo collections and I managed to find some of them. I'm still 'missing' a lot of pictures. Anyway here are some of the pictures of our first visit when we went round HMS Warrior.


HMS Warrior was built for the Royal Navy 1858 - 1861 and was the first armour plated iron hulled warship and was built in response to France launching the first ocean going ironclad warship Gloire which had a wooden hull. HMS Warrior never saw active service as a warship and is now moored at Portsmouth.

Although it never saw active service as a warship it was built for that role and so the interior is made to accommodate the 40 guns that she had on board. She is a frigate class ship and is steam powered. 

There are steep steps to get between decks and the ceilings are low in places. I managed to bump my head several times,






For the crew the accommodation was basic however the captain had a nice comfortable apartment. I liked the stove with its pretty tiles and he had  pictures on the walls.


At one end of the room there was a table for meetings and for dining and I would love a desk like this one.


The sleeping area was behind me as I took this photo but it gives you a view of the space, which including the sleeping area was the full width of the stern of the ship. 


This was the captains sleeping area.


This room was one of the other officers sleeping area, with reduced space due to the gun!



Somewhere in the system there other photos but one drive has managed to muddle them up. I will eventually get them back in the right place.

Today I need to do some marking, which is seriously impinging on my sewing time. If I get a move on I should be able to sew this afternoon. I also have a cake to bake.

Take care

Lyndsey






3 comments:

  1. There's a lot of prep getting those dinosaurs ready to stitch. Cutting often takes more time than you think it will. That's an interesting old ship, love the captain's private rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. Great pictures. I love all your bright fabrics at the beginning. Barbara @ Cat Patches

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ship is so cool. I am happy you found the photos.
    Those dinosaur blocks will come together quickly now.
    Deana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete