Sunday 7 July 2024

Fast and slow stitching.

Today I wanted to get on with sewing some of the bunting. I'd started by trawling through my stash where I quickly found quite a lot of batik. My daughter asked for bright and cheerful bunting and batik fits the bill perfectly. I'm using double thickness fabric so that there are two right sides. Double thickness will give it a bit of body and it will look prettier. I may decide to trim the edges with my pinking shears. I have a long roll of tape to attach the bunting to but that will wait until I know the range of colours and patterns of fabrics used. I cut a cardboard template for the triangles which worked well. Sewing them on the machine was quick and easy. I still need a lot more but this was the first day of making bunting.

I love the range of colours so far. The downside is that I've created still more scraps, so I think I see a scrappy quilt in my future. Talking of scraps I need to do some scrap management to get them sorted. I like to cut the scraps into useful sizes as it saves time when I feel the urge to make a quilt.

Last week I spent time prepping some 'flowers' for the grandmother's garden quilt. This is something I can do at lunchtime at work or even when in an online meeting when we don't need the camera on. No point in wasting valuable stitching time! Yesterday evening I spent time adding the flowers to the quilt. This takes a little time as you have to keep moving the fabric to make the edges line up. In total this round will require 42 flowers. I'm not sure how many I've made so far, or the mix of the fabrics I've used. I need to check as it makes it easier when planning the order to sew them onto the quilt. Here are the flowers I've already made, some I have to stitch together and the fabric I may use for other flowers.

This evening I will be knitting instead of stitching . I tend to alternate the two activities so that my wrists and arms don't start aching with the repetitive actions. I will alternate these two activities for the rest of the week, apart from Tuesday when I will make the fruit cake for Katy's wedding. The ingredients I am short of will come in my grocery order tomorrow evening.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching. I love seeing the projects people are working on.

It's a work day tomorrow and I want to clear some of my work projects since I am not teaching. Having worked on Saturday I have a day to take back in lieu in the near future. If I can fit it on a Monday or Thursday it gives me a four day weekend which would be very nice. Next weekend I have two sewing days booked which will be fun.

Take care

Lyndsey


4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your colourful bunting and pom pom garlands at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors for the bunting are a great choice very cheerful. Love the grandmothers flower garden pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty fabrics. Barbara @ Cat Patches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous batiks for the bunting as well as the prints for the GFG. I do the same as you by looking for moments to squeeze in tasks that would otherwise be time wasted. I listen to books while sewing a lot.
    Deana at dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete