Monday, 24 August 2026

A fun catch up weekend with my brother.

This weekend John and I travelled out of London to visit my brother. He lives on a canal boat on a marina in Leicestershire. The journey there was good, with the traffic flowing reasonably well. The journey took about 3 hours and we didn't stop on the way. I'd booked my car in for a service and the team were really good and finished it early so we could miss the worst of the rush hour traffic. Whilst the car was serviced we met up with older daughter and family for a walk. As we walked to meet them I spotted this on the side of a building. 


We decided to walk along the river Thames. We passed the back of Yorke House. You can see from the photo how dry the grass is. In some areas the grass is completly gone.


I liked this sculpture of bull rushes. Our grandson was fascinated by them. 


As we walked past some houses he spotted this door knocker and thought it was great fun.


We also liked this flower but I'm not sure what it is. The petals were delicate but puffed out like a very full skirt.


The morning passed quickly. We were able to collect the car and were soon on our way heading north. The traffic was heavy in places but there were no holdups. We arrived at the marina at about 6. My brother suggested we go to the onsite bar and restaurant for a meal. The food was delicious and we had fun chatting. Back on my brother's boat we sat up late chatting. Fortunately there was no need to be up early on Saturday morning.

On saturday we visited a small town near by. My sister in law was excited to show me the shops as they were very good. She was right, the bookshop was especially good and we spent quite a long time hunting for interesting titles. A good number of books came home with us. In the evening none of us felt like cooking so we went out to eat. Back at the boat there was a lot more laughing, chatting and enjoying each other's company. 

On sunday morning we went on a walk. We found hops growing in the hedgrow.


The hawthorn was covered in berries.


The rose hips were very pretty.


There were a lot of birds on the water including mallards, coots, moorhens, canada geese, and swans. 


This is what I saw looking the other way.


A look along the river. It was a quiet day for boats.


There were a lot of elderberries.


It was a very relaxing weekend but we had to head home. We left early afternoon. The traffic was fairly quiet and we had a good journey back

Today I had booked an annual leave day and I decided I needed to get on with my red blouse. I needed to add the sleeve. The one went in very neaty but the second was not so well behaved. I am going to unpick and reset the sleeve. I'm off on Wednesday so I'm hoping to get this shirt finished then.

On Friday I'm picking up my quilting machine. It has a new screen and everything is now working. I've also booked a demonstration of the new Babylock Aspire.  My old overlocker isn't working well and it is very old so I think I will treat myself to a new one. 

Take care

Lyndsey





No comments:

Post a Comment