This week I am trying a new craft. A while back, possibly in May my son showed me a company that sold kits to make willow baskets and he thought I might like to try it. As a child I had done some weaving using yarn but not using willow sticks. This sounded fun so I ordered a kit. It arrived in a long heavy black plastic bag and has sat in the corner of our dining room since waiting for the right time. Yesterday I lay the bag across our dining table preparing to start the process.
The kit also comes with a video, helpfully divided into sections to help you get the willow ready for weaving and of course instructions on how to make the basket. First job get the willow out of the bag and get it ready to be soaked for 4 days. The only two items in the black bag were the willow and a clear long thick plastic bag.
On end has to be folded up and held with pegs or clips. I used pegs at first as I couldn't remember where I'd put the bulldog clips. I soon remembered and switched the pegs out. The bundle of willow was tightly help by plastic ties but I removed them easily and put the willow in the clear plastic bag. The willow is four foot long and there is a lot of it.
The next job is to soak the willow. The instructions tell you that for each foot of length of the willow it has to be soaked for a day, so four foot equals 4 days. So far so good. I took the willow outside and set it on the ground, having decided this was the only suitable space. Now to fill the bag with water. I used a watering can as we don't have a hose pipe. I needed to twist the open end of the bag and put a brick on top when I had to refill the watering can. Next came the difficult part. I had to remove the large air bubbles. If there are large air bubbles the willow doesn't take the water onboard and won't bend properly. This looked really easy on the video but there weren't two dogs eager to help. After several attempts I managed to get the big air bubbles out and twist the bag to seal it and put two heavy bricks on top of the twisted end. At this point the two dogs lost interest and went in search of something more fun to play with. so now, just outside our patio doors I have a plastic bag full of willow soaking in water for the next four days. I started the process at about noon on Sunday and so it should be finished by Thursday afternoon. I'll check then that the willow will bend the way it should. I hope it won't need to soak any longer. If all is well I'll start the weaving process on Friday. The kit makes a small foraging basket. I thought this would be useful when working in our small garden.
Earlier today I did the ironing that had accumulated. In the current heat I like to keep on top of the ironing as it's not a job for hot weather. I'm going to make a summer trifle for dessert this evening and then I will get on with some sewing. I have some dressmaking I want to finish and then I can continue stitching on the Star Trek cross stitch. Whilst today is an at home day tomorrow we are going to the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts. Anyone can enter a piece of art into the exhibition and it is fun to see all the different styles. In the afternoon we are going for afternoon tea at one of the London hotels. This is a present from a friend. I'm looking forward to our day out.
Take care
Lyndsey



Oh, exciting. I hope it all works out for you. I'll be waiting to see results. Such a beautiful old craft.
ReplyDeleteWillow weaving sounds like an exciting new adventure for you. And I love the idea of afternoon tea at a posh London hotel.
ReplyDeleteYou’re very brave tackling something like this. I’m going to enjoy watching you as you make progress. I didn’t know these kinds of kits existed.
ReplyDelete