Sunday 8 July 2012

Very busy Saturday

Yesterday was a brilliant sewing day. I spent the whole day at my sewing machine. I did get my exercise as I had to keep going out to the kitchen where I had set up the ironing board. I know everyone says set it up near your sewing area but I like to make myself get up and move around. It also reminds me to make cups of tea.

First thing in the morning I sewed in all the ends on my latest knitted baby blanket. This one is going in the pile to go to Linus later in the year.

I then cut out the skirt pattern I had bought whilst out shopping with my daughter. It was the material that attracted me first, a Nel Whatmore design called Sleeping Beauty in enchanted brown. It is a 2011 design and was half price in the sale which made it even more attractive. I wanted to make a half circle skirt and although these are fairly easy to draw out for yourself I wanted to save time so bought a pattern.

I am really pleased with the finished skirt and it fits really well. It would have been lovely to hang this outside to take the photo but London was very wet yesterday.
Unfortunately the photo doesn't do the colours justice. The fabric is 100% cotton and I have some good sized offcuts to go in my quilting stash.

Having finished that I hunted through my stash to find a border for the toddler quilt in progress.

I choose a light border which appears blue in the photo but is in fact lilac. I will use the same colour for the back and bind it with royal purple used in the 4 block. I would have liked to have got this quilted today but I haven't got any batting and my local quilting suppliers isn't open until Monday. I will quilt this on Tuesday as I am working tomorrow.

I also finished off a couple of the small premature baby quilts that the guides had been making. A couple of the girls moved away and their quilts just needed the fleece backing added. These will go to the hospital local to where we meet. There are twelve to go there and a job for today is to sew the Linus label onto them.

In the evening I sat and worked on my cross stitch whilst watching TV so there is quite a bit of progress on that this week.

I am pleased to have had such a good day at the end of a busy week. The elderly gentleman friend that I visit broke his hip last Sunday in a fall so he is in hospital having had surgery. Our older daughter arrived back home after a year in Paris. It was lovely to see her on Thursday and I look forward to our visits to galleries and exhibitions restarting once she is settled. The younger daughter is making a quilt and knitting an elephant toy for her boyfriend's 21st birthday which is the 24th July. Both are progressing well but she is now in Spain for a week. Lucky girl as it is set to be very wet in London over the next week. I said I would knit the elephants body whilst she is away.

So I am now heading back to my sewing machine for a couple of hours. I can't take the whole day as I have marking that must be done for tomorrow. Never mind I don't work during the holidays so there will soon be lots of time to spend sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment