Monday 30 November 2015

November stitching


November has been a good month for finishes and I'm feeling really happy. My goal for 'A lovely year of finishes' was to complete and post the quilt for baby Ella.


It was quilted as an all over meander with variegated sulky in shades of pink. The backing was a small pink on pink print and I used my pink polka dot for the binding.  My colleague wanted a girlie and pink quilt and I think this fits the bill.


One of my students and his partner have just had a baby boy so now I need to make a baby quilt for Lucas. I do like making baby quilts as they are a very manageable project to make and can be completed quite quickly.

My second goal was to finish The turtles. My son Richard screenprinted this fabric several years ago whilst still at school. It was part of his school art and design coursework. The fabric hung in the school art showcase for several years after he left but we eventually got it back thanks to his sisters who went through the same school.



Originally we decided to leave the outer border unquilted but I may add a meander. I love the shapes on the back of the quilt. If you're part of the quilt police don't look too closely at the stitches as they just aren't of an even length but I don't care, I'm happy with them.



So having finished my main goals I also finished the 'It's a dog's life' quilt top. All the stitcheries were fun to do and I think the top looks fab.


As the top came together all my concerns about the fabric melted away. I had thought the patterns together were a little over the top but it really works well.

My finishes didn't stop there as I turned the 9 patch blocks from last years rainbow scrap challenge into a top.



This top is just so clean and cheerful looking, I love it. I'll quilt this in the new year.

I also almost finished the top for the hexi quilt blocks from the 2014 rainbow scrap challenge. It still needs its outer borders . I love this quilt too. I will be keeping one of these for myself but the other one may go to my younger daughter Lucy.


All of that leaves me doing a very happy dance. I think that's the most sewing I've done in one month all year. With December 1st tomorrow I need to think about what I want to get finished before the end of the year.

I'm linking this post with Melissa at Sew Bittersweet Designs for the November link up party. I love checking out what everyone has been busy finishing. I hope your November has been productive.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. Well, a happy dance is in order! Well done and congratulations on all your finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't you been a busy girl! I particularly like your doggy quilt - I like to do stitcheries myself, and have currently started some Christmas ABC blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your quilts but really love the baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lyndsey ... look at you go!!! Love the redwork, especially -- it makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete