Tuesday 4 September 2018

Blogger Meet and Greet

 Quilters Meet and Greet

Welcome to the online Quilters meet and greet. My name is Lyndsey and this is my blog where I post about my quilting, knitting, walking, cooking and anything else that needs to be shared with my friends in blog land. I love my quilting on line friends as they are such a supportive crowd. Why not make a cup of tea or coffee and I tell you a little of what goes on round here.

My mother taught me to sew, embroider, knit and crochet when I was a child and it has always been my way of relaxing. When my children were small it always gave me a lot of pleasure to make their clothes and when I had time I'd be doing embroidery or knitting. As my children grew into teenagers and then adults I had more time to indulge my hobby and my son suggested that a set up a blog as it would be a great record of what I made. Before I started my bog I didn't take photographs of what I made so I can't show you any of the quilts I made years ago or anything else for that matter.

Let me show you some of my quilts and other makes. What made me want to get back into quilting was seeing a Dresden plate quilt at the stitching and knitting exhibition at Alexandra Palace in London in October 2011. I kept being drawn back to the stand to admire the quilt and before we went home John bought the pattern and fabric for me.




It was the use of the liberty prints that attracted me to this quilt. I'd never made a Dresden plate block before and it took me 6 months to get my nerve together to start the quilt. I soon learnt that the block is not as difficult as it's made out. I soon has the first block finished.


The quilt was going to be a wall hanging but it looks so pretty over my couch and is just perfect as a lap quilt. The borders and sashing took a while to put together as it's made from 1 inch squares.



For a long time this was my favourite quilt but then Christmas 2016 John bought me the fabric to make the Mariner's compass quilt. The fabric arrived just as I was diagnosed with breast cancer and although I enjoyed stroking and playing with the fabric it took me a while to start work on the quilt. The chemotherapy affected my concentration and it took most of the year to piece together. I renamed the quilt, the rescue quilt. Without going back through my blog I can't remember when I finished the quilt top but I finished all the quilting and adding the binding just a couple of months ago.






I had a lot of fun using different free motion quilting patterns. I hadn't done a lot of free motion quilting until this quilt and it was great fun to try different techniques. This is a very traditional quilt and also a very warm quilt. It's going to keep us very snug during the winter. 

The meet and greet is going on for the whole month so why not pop back again between now and October. I'll show you some more of my projects and tell you a little more about life in London UK. 

To enter for the Great Grand click on this button.


 Great Grand Prize

It's been great to meet you and I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Lyndsey

39 comments:

  1. Your Dresden is just stunning. I love Liberty fabric but I am not able to find much here in the states. I have a few pieces I look at often but can't bear to cut into it...maybe someday. Of course I enjoyed following along as you made the Mariner Compass, it is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, your Dresden is fabulous! I don’t recall ever seeing it before. Someday, I hope to travel to your country and get a chance to actually meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! I too made a 'rescue quilt' that I made while going through testing, surgery & recovery for suspected ovarian cancer. Three tumors were found (2 different types) and to everyone's surprise (especially mine, as those tumors grew fast!) all were benign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lyndsey, I know you!! I adore your Dresden -- it's really gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyndsey! Oh my goodness, that Dresden plate quilt is just beautiful. That pattern was one of the first quilts I made, for my sister. It must have been in the late 80s/early 90s and it is still going strong even without her. Your Rescue Quilt is one of my favorite patterns, and you did a fabulous job on it. I have a pattern that I've wanted to make for years, and you may have just inspired me to get it out and get it made. {{Hugs}} I'm glad you're here to be a survivor! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some serious quilting. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Dresden is absolutely gorgeous. The fabrics are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyndsey. I have been lurking around, reading your blog for a few months now, and although I haven't commented before, I couldn't let this opportunity to thank you for writing it pass by without saying something. I just love your blog; everything about it! I love your posts about Scamp, about your walks with John, about your embroidery progress, and your quilts! I love all the photos you include. Perhaps someday, my hubby and I will get back to the UK for a visit. If we do, I hope we may be able to join you on one of your walks! (lynnstck[at]yahoo[dot]com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Meet and Greet is proving such a great way to get to know other quilting bloggers. I will indeed make a point to come back to see more of your lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh both are beautiful! The dresden is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your story. LOVE your Liberty Dresden and the Mariner's Compass, too!! I think you may have the button for the Meet and Greet instead of the prize link. Please, check on that, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Dresden plate was one of my first quilt blocks to make. It think its fun! I am so envious of your Liberty fabrics. So pretty! We have a little bit of them here in the States, but I have yet to buy any. I am afraid I will go broke if I start! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work! (I am also getting sent back to the Meet and Greet rather than the prize sign-up with that button--just fyi)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to meet you. I love your Dresden plate . It is absolutely stunning

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life has a way of getting in the way of our quilting at times. Hopefully, all is well with you and the chemo worth all the discomforts it caused. Love the Dresden plate quilt - the colors are lovely and the border just PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't see that anyone else is having trouble getting to the Giveaway Page from your blog. Whenever I click on the above button (at the end of your post), it directs me to the page where all the participants are shown and not the Giveaway page. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a pretty Dresden Plate quilt--love those colors!
    barbkaup(at)yahoo)(dot)com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Liberty Dresden quilt is so sweet!
    Thanks for being part of the Quilters Meet & Greet! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. You make beautiful quilts. Love the fabrics and the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous mariners quilt, I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilts are lovely! Sorry to hear you had breast cancer but hope you're doing well now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to meet you on the Quilter's Meet and Greet! We spent our vacation in London this year, seeing all the sights and having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the dresden quilt. Your link to enter for the grand prize doesnt' take you to the actual page.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've always loved the Dresden Plate pattern but never made one myself

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing quilts. Love your Dresden plate fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  26. So nice to meet you through the Meet and Greet. Making a Dresden Block quilt is on my bucket list, yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just started following you via 'Bloglovin'. I'm thrilled to meet you through the Meet and Greet. I came to England in 2015 and saw some tourist attractions with a tour group for quilters. We ended with going to the Birmingham quilt show. I came to England to see American quilts from the colonies. I grew up in that part of America and already had an appreciation for those quilts. It was still nice to see them on display there. My paternal grandfather was born in England and came to the States by himself when he was 18. I felt as if I were at home in England without ever having been there. The people were incredibly warm and welcoming. I noticed that the people I met were not nearly as camera shy as most people in the US. I was at the Tower of London and a small boy was sitting in a window. His parents said it would be fine to take his picture. I was completely surprised as that would never happen here. One place I found two ladies sitting on a bench by a stream and I asked if I could snap there photo. Not only did they readily agree, but also asked if I would like their first names to go with the photo. I'd like to go again some day. I love your quilts and the stories behind them. I had breast cancer in 2004-2005. I've had some scares since and nothing came of them. I think you never have a day where you don't think of cancer again. Thanks for participating in the Meet and Greet and I'm looking forward to learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Dresden plate quilts and the colors you have picked are just gorgeous! Your "rescue" quilt is gorgeous, and what a great way to rescue you! You did a fabulous job on it. Of course you had me with the scrappy elements around the star. I do love a good scrappy quilt. Beautiful job, and I'm hoping that big bad "C" word never bothers you again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lindsay lovely to see your blog on the bloggers meet and greet list. Like everyone, I love, love, love your Dresden plate, but dont remember seeing it on your blog before. Such gorgeos colours.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your husband certainly is one in a million - he knows what you like (and has good taste too!). Using Liberty fabric in anything is definitely fun and I think it might be the first time I've seen it in a Dresden Plate design - lovely. (btw - I live in a town called Lindsay - in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pretty colors! I love Dresden Plates.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice to meet you Lyndsey. Your Mariner's Compass quilt is so nice. You did a great job. I have heard many say "choosing a favorite quilt is like choosing a favorite child!" I agree, because, for different reasons and different seasons your choice may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mariner's Compass, love those colours and the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOOOOOVE your Dresden!!! Have one on my "Gotta Make!" list...maybe I will get brave now & get moving on it :)Your other Quilts are AMAZING too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Dresden is beautiful. I love those particular colors as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete