Sunday 6 October 2019

A new month , a new project and some catch up



It's Autumn but this is the best picture I have of autumn leaves. This year the leaves are either green and no where near ready to fall or brown and dead on the ground. What's happened to the gorgeous red and oranges around this area of London? 

The sunrise on my way to work the last couple of mornings has made up for the lack of reds and oranges on the trees.




A new month means I need to set a new goal for October's One Monthly Goal.



What goal to choose has seriously stretched my abilities to make a decision. I have a lot of unfinished projects. How I work on projects depends on the individual projects. If a projects has to be finished for a set date then I will work on it until it's finished but otherwise it depends on what mood I'm in and what my other commitments are. I have quite bad neuropathy in my hands and feet from the chemotherapy back in 2017 which means I can't always manage hand sewing or knitting. If I'm tired or have spent a lot of time working on the computer than hand stitching is difficult so I work on the machine. If I'm well rested then my hands feel better so hand sewing takes priority.

I need to finish John's jumper. This is knitted on a circular needle and because the wool is aran weight it is very heavy. The jumper is knitted from the bottom up to the neck. The sleeves are knitted separately  up to the point where the sleeve seam would be joined to the body and then they are added to the circular needle. I've reached this point and I'm now reducing the number of stitches as I knit up to the yoke.



Before I can get on with knitting I need to wind the next skein into a ball. The wool is from  a mixture of sheeps wool. The company that spin it is Baa Ram Ewe and they use a blend 50%  Bluefaced Leicester, 


Image result for bluefaced leicester sheep

25% Wensleydale Longwool

Image result for wensleydale sheep

 and 25% Masham. 


Image result for masham sheep


The smell of the wool is delicious.



My goal is to knit at least up to the start of the yolk during October. There seems to be quite a lot of rain forecast so this will hopefully be possible as it means staying in and working on hand crafts rather than visits and hiking . In addition I want to continue work on the hexies. I will therefore try to make at least 10 flowers for the grandmother's garden quilt.

My latest copy of 'Today's Quilter' arrived a couple of days ago and I was excited to see a pattern for a Nutcraker themed wall hanging. I know I haven't got time to make it for Christmas this year but there is always next year. The quilt finishes at 54 inches.



There was also this cute stitchery.




John and I will be visiting my favourite quilt shop early in December as we will be staying nearby for my birthday. I'll  be able to buy the fabrics I need to make the quilt then and get some other supplies I want. 

I'm linking this post with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for October OMG Goal Setting Link party   Last month I completed the goal I set myself so I'm interested to see how I do this month. I have a weekend away later in the month but other than that this is a quiet month so a chance for sewing and knitting. 

Lyndsey

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your knitting goal for October. It's a lovely sweater and it looks like you have quite a bit done already. I tend to work on projects a little like you do. Unless there is a deadline I just work on whatever I feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s interesting seeing the different sheep and their wool. I used to crochet with yarn, but I never used anything as luxurious as what you’re doing. Mine was probably something synthetic, but we couldn’t afford anything else. I’ll look forward to seeing that finished off. The yarn is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete