Monday 6 April 2020

Just chilling at home

I'm on holiday from today having been working from home for the last two weeks. So I went into my work email and put an out of office message on it. I do have to check my emails once a day but I'll only deal with really important can't wait issues. The question is how do I get out of work mode having spent the last two weeks working at my dining table? I've always done some work at home but have tried to keep it to a minimum but now it has wormed it way into the very fabric of our personal life because of Covid. Hmmm I need to think this through as I know we'll still be working from home after my holiday and work needs to be contained as far as possible. We don't have a separate room we can use as an office but I have two weeks to come up with a plan. I'll keep you updates.

Anyway today I wasn't working but some students contacted me to ask if there was a  problem with the IT system as they couldn't get into their learning materials. By the time I'd sorted that out  I lost a fair bit of my sewing time.  Free to play at last I started off by designing my project for the 'It's cool to be square' blog hop taking place in May and then I pulled out one of my subscription boxes that had the pattern and fabric for a cushion cover I've been meaning to make.

The pattern uses a charm pack of Chafarcani by French General. The pattern also makes a draft excluder but we don't need one as since we had new windows fitted and other work done on the house we don't really have any drafts.



By the time I stopped I had stitched the cushion front together and was ready to add the applique. The biggest part was cutting the charm squares. I love the reds in the charm pack



I've copied the template for the hearts and I have the backing fabric for the cushion so this should be finished tomorrow. I have another charm pack of the same fabric and I'll probably make a second cover.

I had to stop at that point as I needed to find the Bondaweb to use with the applique. At the same time I wanted to pull out the bag kit that I bought last year. 


I'd opened the kit and cut out some fabric to see how it looked and then I decided I needed to finish a project before I started something new.



The templates for the hexagons are a thin foam which is rather fun.


Once Mildred is finished I'm going to put this bag together. Tomorrow I need to pick up some food for Picasso and milk for us. So long as my students don't have any problems the day is mine to do what I want. I also want to take Scamp for a walk. We haven't been taking him out every day in order to protect ourselves. Fortunately, since he's a Yorkshire Terrier he doesn't need really long walks although if they are on offer he'll take them with pleasure. 

Take care and stay safe.

Lyndsey


2 comments:

  1. So enjoyed a peek of your new projects. It is sad you are not able to go on your vacation but it looks as if you will be able to fill your time with lovely sewing projects. I have made over 50 masks since the Center for Disease Control has recommended everyone wear a mask but not the types used for hospital personnel. Hopefully this virus will run its course soon. Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects you’re working on.

    ReplyDelete