Sunday 26 April 2020

The Robin's are nesting.

Today is day 33 of the UK lock down and as a family we have settled into a comfortable routine. We are all working from home which makes the working week interesting as we try to ensure our online meetings or teaching happens at different times. Over the day we take it in turns to make the tea and coffee and also to do the cooking. On Friday evening we declared the weekend open and enjoyed a take away curry together. We also started film Friday. Lucy was 29 on her birthday last week and she has set herself thirty things to do before she's 30. One of the things is to watch 30 films. The rules she has set herself say she must not have watched it before and in some way it should be considered a classic. She had been told by friends that she had missed out because she'd never seen Die Hard so that started our film Fridays. John, Richard and I had seen it before but we all enjoyed the evening. A film, a good curry and some beer proved a good start for the weekend. We've found you have to do something to differentiate the working week and the weekend. 

Here in London the weather has gone quite warm and sunny, although at times the wind is a bit chilly. John and I have been enjoying having breakfast and lunch in the garden. Whilst sitting at our garden table we have enjoyed seeing two robins who have made their nest in some ivy that's growing up along our fence. They completed their nest a while back and from the chirping noises we think their eggs have hatched. The two robins are now busy taking beakfuls of food back to the nest. They come very close to where we are sitting and it is fascinating to watch them. I keep meaning to take my camera out with me but I keep forgetting. Hopefully next week I'll get a picture of them.

We have more time to do fun things and baking has been one of them. I made a batch of blueberry muffins and Lucy made a very calorific dessert with caramel and chocolate and caramel truffles on top. Very tasty !



Last night we played monopoly after dinner. Richard has always loved Star Trek and has one of the Star Trek special additions of the game. My only complaint with monopoly is that the game can go on for ages. I must admit that I sometimes cheat to ensure the game lasts for a reasonable length of time rather than hours.



Not a lot of sewing got done over the week as we were trying to fit decorating in around work. By the evening I was just too tired to do anything very much and generally retired to bed early and read a few pages of my book before sleep. Today I sat down and started stitching the hexies together to create the bag front and back. The freezer paper has kept the pieces together very well and it makes it so easy to pick up the next piece whilst the rest stay where they should be. I'm going to be putting all my efforts into completing this bag over the next couple of weeks.




This weekend we should have been walking in Suffolk but that is impossible at the moment. To add to my annoyance I received a letter from the government saying I should be 'shielding' myself due to my underlying health issues. Shielding means I should not go out at all and should distance from members of my family who do have to go out, and this should continue until 30th June. Now as far as I'm aware I have no underlying health conditions and I don't match any of the criteria on the governments list so I'm confused.  I'm making the judgement that yet again they got the information wrong. I've been going shopping and taking the dog for short walks. We take care to keep well away from other people and always wash our hands well when we get home. If I have to stay indoors until 30th June I  will be going mad!

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching  Do go and visit and see what everyone's been working on.

Take care and stay safe. 

Lyndsey

3 comments:

  1. Your hexies are looking good. I enjoy working with them in the same method you are using. Lucy's dessert looks so yummy. Think of you often. Would love the opportunity to sit and have a cup of tea with you. But unfortunately that will probably never be possible. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dessert looks fantastic. The hexies are coming along. That’s weird about your letter, and even if it were correct, I would find it impossible to distance from family, regardless. We’ve had some instruction like that here, although no personal letters. It isn’t realistic to think people are going to quarantine within the confines of their own home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend the film Dogma. I think it fits all of Lucy's criteria. Has lots of big stars, Matt Damon, Ben Afleck, Alan Rickman, Selma Hayek, Chris Rock. It's a bit crude but if is very irreverent and funny! That cake looks amazing and the hexies look great. It's amazing how similar our experiences are from one end of the worl to the other. Albeit we live in a more rural area so we are able to spend a lot of our isolation in the garden and out of doors. take care!

    ReplyDelete