Tuesday 22 September 2020

I love Autumn

I love Autumn or Fall, the colours are so pretty and the weather is cooler but not cold. I start to think of soups and casseroles and curling up under a quilt to watch a film. I also love long walks with John and Scamp to enjoy the season first hand. Carla from Creatin' in the sticks, organised this hop and asked us to create something for Fall. I was planning on making two projects but in the end I stuck with one. The second one will be made over the next few weeks.

I spent some time thinking about what I wanted to make and I decided I wanted it to be useful to me. As the summer fades and we move into cooler weather my needlecrafts tend to change with the weather. There will be new television programmes I want to watch and that means more hand work. In the summer it's too hot for knitting or crochet but Autumn makes them more pleasurable. I also like to do embroidery whilst chatting to the family. I needed somewhere I could put what I'm working on when I get up to make the teas and coffees or answer the door. Usually I dump things on the floor and Casso starts to play with them, and threads can end up knotted. I definitely need to be more organised to avoid this problem. My project therefore was to make an armchair tidy. 

I had already decided the fabric I wanted to use because of the reds, browns and greens.


The colours in my charm pack worked well for an autumnal project and I had the solid green that went well with it.  I needed to stitch the charm squares together to make the main body and also a smaller section to make the pouch.


I decided to quilt it using a trailing leaf design. This was fun to do but there are a few wonky leaves. 


For the backing fabric I used the aubergine fabric I had left over from my rainbow batik quilt.
In the photo below you can see the leaf pattern. I really do need to practice more on the free motion quilting.


Overall I'm very happy with my project and I will be making use of it over the coming months. Hopefully by having something to slip my embroidery scissors into I won't injure myself again by sitting on them. Ouch embroidery scissors have very sharp points.

Now you need to visit the rest of today's participants. Here's a list for you.


Take care and stay safe

Lyndsey

37 comments:

  1. Your arm chair tidy turned out so pretty with sweet fabrics and your free motion quilting of leaves is really lovely! I really like something that is beautiful and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is what I call pretty and practical. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, and it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful useful project! Your fmqing looks lovely and wonky leaves add character and look just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you just dream that up on your own, Lyndsey? And, have you been peeking in my window at the state of my "reading chair" and the mess I leave when I go make a cup of tea or answer the door?! Kudos for making such a useful project for the Hop. It appears that your colors coordinate perfectly with your chair, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tidy looks just perfect on your arm chair, it matches so well. I have a basket on the floor to shove my project in;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a super idea for fall stitching and yes, it will be good to keep those sharp scissors in a tidy way. OUCH. Not good to sit on them. Love the quilted leaves too. I think your free motion looks great. Thank you for being a part of the Hello Fall Blog Hop. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks lovely there. It looks like a good quilt for snuggling up in on a cool night. I like fall too. We often get a big wind just as the leaves are prettiest, and everything ends up on the ground. We had our big wind early this year when things weren’t yet changing. Maybe we’ll have another pretty fall this year. I’m thinking of soups and stews now too. I put a couple on this week’s menu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea for holding projects, and for keeping the rest of you safe from those snips! I think your quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one item that I had put on my list to sew, but for some reason, it never gets done. Yours turned out very lovely! I think your leaves turned out very nice! Enjoy your new arm chair caddy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful and functional project. I love the colors you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those fabrics are beautiful and look amazing in your armchair project. I love the idea of keeping those scissors safe from hurting someone and having a place to keep things close. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your project matches my living room colors perfectly. Green sofa and red curtains. Brown and tan accents and medium brown bookcases. I keep items on furniture arms to protect them when hand stitching. Nice project

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great choice. It's fall themed and very useful. Thank you for sharing.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, and gorgeous fabrics. I am always sitting on my scissors. I have a chaise lounge section on my sofa that I use, and am right handed, so am always setting my scissors down on my right size, and losing them. Usually they are underneath me. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. It turned out beautifully, your color choice is perfect. I too tend to use the floor. Crochet hooks tend to roll under things, this would be a perfect coral for the "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful armchair caddy and so practical! This is such a great idea! Love the colors you chose. You didn't mention the dimensions. I can see it is 4 charms across, but how long?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    Awesome idea...I'll have to give this one a try...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great idea and worked out very well. I'm rather like you, I just love the slow cooked soups, stews, casseroles that we make in the colder weather. Comfort food at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful project. I love your colors, especially with your chair! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Im feeling inspired by your armchair cozy; now to find the time to act!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute charm project that will get lots of use.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is the perfect project for handiwork! You mean I'm not the only one who sits on scissors all the time!? Well done and thanks for sharing a useful and lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely armchair cozy and a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely project. Just what I need by my easy chair that I use for hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  26. an arm chair tidy is a perfect idea for this hop. Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, if that isn't just the cutest most useful thing. I love the idea of keeping my things a little more contained. LOL! Can't imagine sitting on scissors. Yikes!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lyndsey I’m sure you will get lots of use out of your beautiful armchair tidy and enjoy your pretty fabrics and quilting every time you sit down or get up to......😉

    ReplyDelete
  29. You made a very pretty and practical project! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cute pouch for your arm chair! I think you did a fine job with your quilting--I have been thinking of using that design for the border of a wall hanging I'm working on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you saw my sidetable, you'd realize I need to make one of these too! Yours is very pretty. How many rows did you use to drape over the arm of your chair?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love practical projects! I think your leaf quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was thinking of making something like that for my nightstand, to put scissors, thread, etc in so that they don't take up so much room on top. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a clever idea! nice fall colors, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very pretty arm chair caddy. Love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A chair caddy is something I need to get around to making. Yours is lovely. Love the fabric choices. Perfect colors for Fall.

    ReplyDelete