Before I started stitching the cores together I read the information that came with the templates. This told me that pining the pieces was important as it helped to prevent puckering on the curves. It also told me to put the convex curve on the bottom and pin the concave curve to it. I tried this for the first few seams but I found it easier to have the convex curve on top. To join the cores I folded the convex curve and finger pressed the mid line. I did the same with the concave curve. you can just see the press line in this photo.
With right sides together I matched the two press lines with the convex curve uppermost. I then pinned the sides and finally added a pin or pins in the gap. While pinning I checked that I still had a quarter inch seam and that I had pinned in any additional fabric or puckers. Whilst the the covex curve is nice and flat that concave curve tends to look bunched up
When fully pinned and ready to sew the pieces look nice and even and smooth. I still needed to stopped whilst stitching and lift the presser foot to move the fabric under the needle. I know most people would pin the opposite way so they can pull the pins with their right hand as they stitch. I prefer to pin this way and I take the pins out with my left hand.
To sew the curves I reduced the length of the stitch slightly and I also reduced the speed of the machine. Once I got going on stitching the curves it all went smoothly. I love the completed rows. Now I need to practice sewing the rows together.
Once stitched together the seams are clipped and pressed to the concave curve. I like the way the pieces look from the back.
So far my challenge to myself to try a new technique is working out well. On Wednesday I have some free time and I'll work out how to join the rows.