Friday 1 October 2021

October weather

1st October and the weather has become very autumnal. It's cold, cold enough that I switched the heating on this morning to make it reasonable to get out of bed. The rain is pouring down outside, breaking down the few flowers left in the garden and making a huge amount of noise as it hits all surfaces. To add to the woes caused by the weather Picasso has just stuck his head in my tea mug and drank my still quite hot tea. He loves tea but he won't drink it if you make him his own brew. When I let Scamp out this morning he came back in completely drenched and I had to give him a good rub with a towel to dry his fur. Today is my day off and I was looking forward to going for a long walk with Scamp but that will have to wait until the rain stops. 

Today was a house work day but this evening we had tickets for an art exhibition with Katy. The exhibition was titled 'Mixing it up: Painting Today' and was on show at the Hayward Gallery. The reviews said this was 'nothing less than a show of enormous and lifelong devotion to painting by 31 contemporary artists, many born elsewhere but who all now live in Britain.' I really enjoyed this exhibition.


As we walked through the main door this was the first painting we saw. The Captain and The Mate by Lubaina Himid. Here is the information about the picture.

I also liked this painting of artists and their models.




The next one, by Mohammed Sami, entitled Refugee Camp.


The next picture by Allison Katz was made using acrylic and rice on canvas. Katy and I were fascinated by the use of rice in the picture. Many years ago when I studied art at school I used lentils in a piece of artwork. The rice made the picture look as if it was snowing.



I loved this cockerel and I thought it would make a great jigsaw puzzle. Later in the evening, quite independently John said the same thing.


This is also by Allison Katz and the flowers are created with rice. The final picture I'm showing you is Sleep Relay by Tasha Amini. If you look carefully you will see the sleeping figures.


The whole exhibition was very interesting and I really enjoyed it. After the exhibition John, Katy and I enjoyed dinner at Wagamama before heading home.

At home I wanted to do a bit of cutting, not fabric this time. I had printed out a page of 1/2 inch hexagons.  It will take me a while to cut this out.


I also need to hunt for my Liberty Tana Lawn fabric that I want to use for this little project. I'll tell you more in another post.

Take care 
Lyndsey








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a portion of your gallery your, Lyndsey. My jaw dropped at that half inch hexi project! Sounds a bit fiddly to me.

    ReplyDelete