Wednesday 3 November 2021

Happy November

I can't believe we are already in November. Driving along the motorway yesterday, on my way to work I really enjoyed the fall colours. The sky was a bright blue and the reds and oranges of the trees were amazing. It's such a shame I was on my own so had no one to take a photo. Yesterday was also the first day of the year I had frost on the windows of the car. I find these first cold mornings difficult as I can't remember the perfect settings to clear the windscreen quickly and stop it steaming up when I have the heating running. It only takes me a few mornings to get it right but it's annoying until I do.

Last week John, Katy and I visited Strawberry Hill House. In 1747 Horace Walpole purchased 'Chopp'd Straw Hall' on the banks of the river Thames in fashionable Twickenham. The building at that time was a couple of cottages but he turned it into a 'little Gothic castle' using the cottages and adding new buildings. The house has pinnacles, battlement and a round tower. It made for a very interesting visit.

I managed to leave both my camera and my phone at home so I was dependant on the others to take the photos. I've picked the one's I liked. This first one was in the blue bedroom which was Horace Walpole's bedroom. Many years ago just about all of the furnishings and collections from the house were sold by the family member who inherited the house after Walpole died. The bed on display was made for the room and all the hangings and quilt and mattress were created by the Strawberry Hill sewing bee. To find out more about their work in  completing the bed follow this link Strawberry Hill sewing bee 


Some of the ceilings were magnificent. This one is painted,


but this one is embroidered. The guide said they think it is machine embroidered because the stitches are so even but it could be hand embroidered.





There was a lot of areas where screens or fireplaces were made to look as if carved from stone but were actually made from wood. I liked this over the top screen. In designing his house he had drawn on a lot of ideas from churches and tombs.

This room was delightful and is used as a wedding venue either for the ceremony or the reception.


I will be revisiting the house and also enjoying the garden. We hadn't allowed ourselves enough time to explore the garden on the first visit.

Today I'm not working and I will be getting my sewing machine out shortly. I have mug rugs to finish and I promised to make a couple of Christmas pillow cases. I also need to re-sort my sewing cupboard, as I know I have a piece of fabric but just can't find it at the moment. I will be taking some time to find my millennium sampler. I want to get it framed and wanted to get that organised today but I put it in a safe place and I can't remember exactly where it is. The joy of getting older but also having too many things to try and remember.

Take Care

Lyndsey




4 comments:

  1. The trees are still so green here! We've still not had a frost; hopefully soon. We've got a little color but not a lot. It never fails ... whenever I leave my phone in the car or leave it at home when we go out on the trails in the camp, I see something I just MUST capture a photo of! LOL! Todd is really great about letting me take over his phone when that happens and we're together. You still managed to get some great photos to share! Enjoy your sewing day, today!! Hoping you figure out where that "safe" place is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting Historic house! It was a treat to read all about the Strawberry Hill Sewing Bee. The attention to the historical detail of the textiles was fascinating. Thnaks so much for the 'tour' and the link! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fabulous house, and a great visit, certainly ideal for a wedding venue. I've never heard of embroideries on the ceiling before, was that new to you as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing another of your wonderful adventure, Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete