Sunday 7 November 2021

Quick quick Saturday, slow Sunday

Yesterday was a busy day catching up on household chores, beds to change, floors to clean and ironing to be done. I had also booked a facial as I needed a bit of a pick me up. I didn't want my hair done as I don't find that relaxing so I decided a facial fitted the bill. The facial was lovely and included a neck and shoulder massage. The owner of the salon had a trainee with her and so I got a free foot and hand massage at the same time. By the time I left the salon I felt really relaxed and able to tackle anything. As a result when I got home I set up the machine and got on with quilting the Christmas table runner. The runner was all made but needed to be sandwiched and quilted.


I started by quilting holly leaves on the centre panel and then did in the ditch quilting between the centre panel and the border. Finally I stitched in the ditch between each of the pieces on the border. The table has my machine and computer on it so I didn't have room to lay the table runner out. So here are roughly the two halves.

I said roughly as I didn't fold it right and so missed off the reindeer from this end.


As you can see I've added a green binding. I tried several pieces of fabric and this worked the best. It is a nice rich Christmas green

Today's slow stitching will be stitching down binding. I'm half way round the hare quilt binding and this table runner shouldn't take too log to finish up. Maybe two finishes this week week which would be really good.

Having finished the quilting I didn't feel like doing any more sewing so started pulling out the Christmas fabrics to make a couple of Christmas pillow cases. I decided I would use the reindeer template on one of them and on the other I think I will just use a wide band of Christmas fabric down the one side of the pillow on the front.

On Friday In between working at home I started priming my dolls house. I did this outside using a spray primer which gives a smooth but thin coat. I then left it to dry on the kitchen table. Due to the smell I had to leave the backdoor and a window open, which was a little cool but the paint only takes 20 minutes to be touch dry. I managed to get several pieces primed and then later in the evening I put the house back together as it takes up less room this way.


I've got some small tester pots for painting the rooms and ready mixed wallpaper paste for the rooms where I will use wallpaper. The folded bits sticking out the roof on the right are flooring strips ready to be put down. These are real wood strips with an adhesive backing to stick them down. The strips are all the full length of the sheet so I will be cutting them down to make them more like real floor boarding. Having read the instructions to make the dolls through several times I am now ready to see if I can make them. They will be very fiddly but will look good if I get it right.

This afternoon I'm out with older daughter but this evening I will be stitching the binding down whilst watching something on the television or maybe a film. Later in the week I have a jigsaw to start making but the binding must be completed first. I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Stitching Sunday 

Hopefully this week I will have more time for sewing and I'll be able to catch up with my blog reading.

Take care

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. That massage sounds great. Your Christmas runner is beautiful. Hope you have fun stitching the binding on. Have a wonderful week, Lyndsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your massage really does sound great ... hands, feet and face? That's my speed! Your Christmas runner is lovely ... it's amazing how much of a difference the quilting makes!! Enjoy binding today -- that's my favorite part!!! And have fun out with your girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to make new Christmas runners for a few years now. Maybe next year. Yours is beautiful. Enjoy stitching on binding. I am looking forward to seeing that dollhouse as you work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Christmas table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that pampering sounds wonderful! Lovely quilting on your pretty Christmas runner. Decorating the dollhouse sounds fun. It will be fabulous to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas runner looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete