Monday 22 January 2024

White Rabbits

 

T

Today is the start of the White Rabbit blog hop and my day to share what I've made. My thanks go to Carol from Just Let me Quilt for organising the hop. The challenge was to create something with rabbits or something white. 

Rabbits are very pretty and generally gentle creatures. When my children were small they had rabbits as pets. We had a variety of colours but we never had an all white rabbit. Here in the UK there is a well known saying that is said on the first day of the month, 'pinch, punch for the first of the month, white rabbits.' So long as you have said white rabbits no one can pinch or punch you back. If you do this before midday it will bring you good luck for the month. It is said to come from medieval times when people believed in witches. My uncle was a rear gunner in a Lancaster bomber during world war II. He told me he always said white rabbits for luck before setting out on a raid. Good luck is always helpful so I'll continue to say white rabbits.

My project for this hop was to make a baby quilt. The wife of one of my colleagues is pregnant with their second child so a quilt was needed. In making the quilt it needed to suit a boy or a girl as they aren't revealing the gender. 

I like to make scrappy quilts and I have a lot of scraps at present so I started by scouring my 2.5 inch boxes to make 9 patch blocks. I managed to find a good variety to use.

Several of the 9 patches had rabbits on them, although they aren't white.




Next I added some solid blocks in between and a panel with two rabbits (or they could be hares). I've used this panel pattern before and I got it from The Bramble Patch. The rabbits had to be white to fit the theme.


I kept the quilting very simple using straight line quilting on the blocks and outlining the flowers and rabbits. I have attached the binding but still need to stitch it down to the back. That will be done next week so long as I've finished my embroidery project that I want to get finished this month. The baby isn't due until March so there is no rush.


I hope you have enjoyed seeing my project. Now you need to hop over to the other blogs sharing today. Here is a full list of participants. I can't wait to see what people have made.

January 22

 
JANUARY 23
 
JANUARY 24
 
JANUARY 25

Take care

Lyndsey


26 comments:

  1. Your bunny baby quilt is just adorable! I love all the different rabbit fabrics you used, as well as the appliqued panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt! The bunnies are cute and I always like scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many sweet rabbits scattered around this quilt...love it! Cute, cute, rabbits appliqued in the middle for a wonderful touch. This will be a much loved baby quilt, I'm sure. Thanks, Lyndsey, for sharing your project and the pinch/punch background on saying "White Rabbit." xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet baby quilt that will be loved for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute quilt! Love the white bunny appliques.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt. Thanks also for sharing the white rabbit saying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable quilt, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I love your fabric choices. It is a WONDERFUL project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. VERY cute quilt! I'm sure it's going to be loved!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good & clever use of your scraps. Ah..........White Rabbits..........know the saying well even though I'm Aussie born & bred. My other half was born in Leeds & has quite often mentioned it over the last 49 years we've been together. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LJ here - my Google Account doesn't work. :( That baby will love the white rabbit quilt. I'm glad you added the special white rabbits. Hmmm, saying 'white rabbit' or 'rabbit' early in the day brings you luck is a new one for me. I do remember that having a rabbit's paw was supposed to bring you luck, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I still say White Rabbits on the first of the month. What a gorgeous bunny quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun and cute baby quilt. I love the rabbit I love the 2 center rabbits with the red heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute and cuddly. Great idea for a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet quilt Lyndsey with all of the cute rabbits! Perfect baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it amazing how we have fabric stashed away to meet any requirements. Love your bunny scraps even though they were cream not white. Your white applique rabbits do fit the bill and look wonderful with the flowers. It will be so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very cute! I recognize some of those prints from my own stash! And look at you being so far ahead with this quilt...color me impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking quilt, love the applique you added to it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun quilt, and so many great rabbits are on it. The theme worked a number of ways on the fun quilt for a soon to arrive little one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that is too cute!! Perfect for this hop! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. A hopping Eye Spy! Lots of bunnies to look for. Sweet and simple is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute quilt. Love the 2 rabbits panel.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The anonymous comment above is me. I'm having trouble getting my name to sign in.

    ReplyDelete