Saturday 30 March 2024

Practicing making arcs

Yesterday I decided to have a day off sewing and work on a couple of other things for a change. I decided over Christmas that I wanted to spend some time sorting through my belongings and getting rid of things I no longer need or use. I've been sorting bits and pieces over the last two months, mainly my sewing supplies. I got rid of very little but I did move along some fabric that I knew I would never use, to a friend. Yesterday I went through my craft and art supplies. I don't do much drawing or painting but I do enjoy it and find it very relaxing. Mainly I restructured how I stored my supplies. When it can to the craft drawer I wanted to get rid of things I no longer enjoy doing. One of these is rubber stamping. In the past I have done a lot of stamping, making wedding invitations for friends and Christmas cards that we sold to raise money for the Brownie and Guide units. I kept the various Celtic knot stamps I had but offered all the others to a friend, along with card blanks and envelops. It's good to get rid of belongings to a good home.

Having finished a little decluttering I decided I would start the roofing on the doll house. I haven't done any work on the house for a while. The tiles I'm using are slate and only 1mm thick at the rebated end. To stick them to the roof I needed to use PVA glue. Fortunately I have a good supply of it. I'd bought full tiles and half tiles which makes the roofing easier but I will still need to cut some of the tiles. I'll use Richard's Dremel for that. This is how far I've got. I'm pleased with how the roof is progressing. Fortunately I can take to roof off the house, which makes it easier to work on.


Last week I ordered some wool to knit a jumper ready for next winter. I couldn't resist the offer of 60% off the cost of the wool I wanted and I loved the colour. The wool arrived this morning and I'm very happy with it. Once I've finished the cardigan I'm knitting, I'll be able to start knitting with this beautiful green wool.


This afternoon I decided to make a start of the rings quilt. I had cut some extra arcs so I could practice sewing the curves. I had 4 attempts and I got a little better with each arc. I still need more practice but I feel more positive about my skills to make this quilt. Here are my 4 attempts. The arc on the left is the last one I made and I'm happy with this attempt.

Tonight or rather in the early hours of tomorrow morning, the clocks will spring forward in the UK. It means there will be more daylight in the evenings and I can't wait. It will make walking Missy, after work, more pleasurable.

Just a short post tonight. Today has been very busy and tiring but at the same time I don't appear to have done much. Most confusing.

Take care

Lyndsey


3 comments:

  1. The yarn color is lovely. Although I have done quite a bit of sewing, curves are still a challenge for me and take time to do. Your practise curves are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have shied away from sewing arcs. Your progress looks good, Lyndsey! Best of luck with finishing up your current sweater project, as the new yarn is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly got a bargain with your wool purchase, what a great deal. I've just bought some wool to knit myself a new cardigan sometime, not really in a hurry for it, but it will take me quite sometime so I should get started soon.

    ReplyDelete