Thursday 13 June 2024

National sewing machine day (UK)

I love the variety of special days that occur during the year. I'm not sure how these days get created and recognised but I know that some of the days are great fun. A day celebrating the invention of the sewing machines sounds a great idea to me. I love setting mine set up and then spending time with it creating a quilt or a dress or other fabric object. In the UK national sewing machine day is observed every year on the 13th June.

I have two machines, an Elna and a Brother. The Brother which has enough room to comfortable machine quilt a large quilt. Here is Lucy making a block using the Brother machine.

Prior to the sewing machine it is estimated that people started sewing by hand some 20,000 years ago. The first needles were made from bones or animal horns and the thread made from animal sinew. Hand sewing takes time and patience so as the Industrial revolution took place there was a need to create a machine to do the job more quickly. 

In 1755 Charles Weisenthal, a German man, was issued a British patent for a “needle that is designed for a machine.” but there was no evidence of the machine.  In 1790 an Englishman, Thomas Saint designed and patented a machine powered by a hand crank that was to stitch leather and canvas. There is no evidence of the machine being built by Saint but in 1874 William Newton Wilson discovered the patent drawings and built a replica. This proved that the machine worked but it didn't work that well. The model is now on display in the London Science Museum. In 1830 Barthelemy Thimonnier, a French tailor, invented a successful sewing machine that used a hooked needle and one thread, creating a chain stitch.

Since that time sewing machines have been used in industrial settings and at one point many homes would have a machine. They did go out of fashion when cheaper mass produced clothes became available but in the UK home sewing machines are experiencing a bit of a resurgence, possibly due to the Great British Sewing Bee.

I learnt to sew on a singer hand cranked machine that came in its own large case. It would be set up on the dining table and my mother would create clothes for herself and for me. The first time I was allowed to use it was to sew some dolls clothes. I felt really grown up. Little did I know that the skills I was taught would develop into my hobby and that I would sew clothes for myself and my children as well as items for our home such as curtains and quilts.

To celebrate national sewing machine day I have given my quilting machine a good clean and removed all the 'fluff' that builds up Long may I continue to enjoy my sewing hobby.

Take care 

Lyndsey




 








1 comment:

  1. I have one worn out Bernina Quilter's Edition, two Juki's that only do a straight stitch, and a long arm Juki. My first machine was a Baby Lock. I eventually advanced beyond what that machine would do and let it go.
    I need to ask Mom what kind of a machine she used when I was young, just for history's sake.
    I need a new machine just for travel - to all my retreats. It needs to be light weight and have a blanket stitch. I dream of a Featherweight. My friend has a cute, cheapy, mint blue brother with only a $100 price tag. She only uses it for retreats. She can tuck it under her arm to carry. I have considered that.
    Thanks for the history of sewing, Lyndsey. I learned much.

    ReplyDelete