Saturday 29 February 2020

Catching up

I'm playing catch up again. Life got in the way of playing and having fun but don't get in a panic it was just a real rush at work caused by a lot of staff being off sick with flu.I kept on telling my colleagues to have the flu jab. The university provides the flu jab for free for all staff who would like it. As I'm an ancient dinosaur I get it for free from the NHS and I'm really pleased to have it and so reduce the risk of being ill.

Although I'm playing catch up with blogging and answering emails I have managed to keep up with some sewing. As a result I'm happy to slide my post under the wire for the one monthly goal finish up post. Thank goodness that February has 29 days! Happy birthday to anyone reading who is celebrating their birthday and I have a question, which day do you celebrate on for the other years, February 28th or March 1st or better still both?

February OMG Finish  link-up is open!

At the beginning of the month I set myself a goal of completing the butterfly baby quilt. This quilt went going to one of my students as he and his partner are expecting a baby early in March. The student group decided a baby shower was needed and I provided the quilt. The students provided gifts to pamper and enjoy with a spa collection basket for the mom to be and spiced rum for soon to be dad. We had arranged for the little party to be this week and we all enjoyed some food after class. I'm pleased to say I finished the quilt in time. Unfortunately I forgot my camera and took the photo on my phone. I didn't check that the photo was in focus and the result is this blurry picture. Several students also took photos so I'll get one of them to email a none blurry photo next week.



Blurry or not I met my February goal. I also set myself the challenge of making the second baby quilt. This is going well. At the beginning of February this was just a pile of fabric waiting to be cut but now the quilting is almost finished.


I need to get a wriggle on with this quilt as the little girl was born last week. I will finish the quilting later today and hopefully get the binding done tomorrow. We should have been away this weekend but circumstances prevented that and so I have sewing time instead. Yippee!

I was also hoping to have finished the stitching on Constance but I'm not quite done yet. We have a film scheduled for watching tonight so I may be able to finish her this evening.


As well as finishing my monthly goal John and I enjoyed a two day break away. In my quilting magazine they were advertising a quilt show in a small market town not far from where we were staying so we decided to visit. I took some photos of my favourite quilts.



I loved this estuary shoreline and since bird watching is one of our hobbies John suggested I could make a quilt like this to hang down the long wall on the stairway. Now that is a challenge and I really want to take it up later this year.



The quilting on this was exquisite and echoed the joined rings. 








I loved this quilt and also totally recognised the problem of making a scrappy quilt to use up leftovers but then ending up with more scraps that need using at the end of the project. Another quilt just has to be made.



Many of the quilts used bright fabrics such as Kaffe Fassett . The colours echoed the spring day outside.




I took a photo of this quilt because the hexagons were very cleverly pieced together. 





John really liked this quilt and it is definitely pleasing to the eye. I told him to dream on or make one like it himself as it's unlikely I'll want to make a quilt with that many flying geese.

I'm linking this post with Patty from Elm Street Quilts for the February Finish One Monthly Goal Link up  Pop over and see what everyone has completed this month.The next thing on my checklist for today is to finish up the quilting on the baby quilt so I'll see you all later.

Lyndsey





















1 comment:

  1. The Butterfly quilt turned out so cute. I am sure it will be treasured. Constance looks great too. And I know your version of the shore birds will be fantastic...can't wait to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete