Friday 3 July 2020

A new month and a new project.

I love the start of a new month as it provides a lot of possibilities. If the previous month was unproductive or didn't go to plan I look to the new month as a mini new beginning. A chance to plan out the month, deciding on projects to work on and making decisions about new projects to start. This month I hoping I will be able to be as productive as I was last month. I'm also looking forward to a planned short break away at the end of the month so long as it stays safe to do so.

In the UK, July is National Picnic month. John and I have a 2 person picnic basket with plenty of room for the food. During the summer we enjoy long walks and it's perfect to take a picnic for a late lunch or afternoon tea.


With luck we'll get a chance to have several picnics over the summer, especially afternoon tea with scones and cream. That's so long as the government don't put anymore lockdown restrictions in place. I need to get out to the country, to wide open spaces with no people. I'm getting thoroughly bored with people thinking the virus has gone away and ignoring social distancing. 

I've managed some more stitching on Thelma. I'm hoping to have her finished by the end of the week as I have so many other embroideries I want to work on.


I spent some time stitching on the batik rainbow quilt, adding 3 rows. I've still some way to go as there are 18 rows in all. This quilt will go in my little sports car, for when John and I have picnics. 


I finally managed to make a couple of masks for Richard, his choice of fabric was Star Trek. Lucy needed another one and wanted the flamingo fabric whilst I picked the hedgehog fabric.


A few weeks ago I spotted a block of the month run by The Quilters Guild. It had already run for several months but I signed up to get the patterns. It's called The red Manor House and below is a picture from the Quilter's Guild website.

Red Manor House Block of the Month (BoM) project

I've cut the fabric for the house block and will sew it together tomorrow. I love starting new projects and this one should be fun. There is a fabric kit you can buy to make the quilt but I want to make it as a scrappy quilt. I already have a good stash of fabrics and so I shouldn't have to buy too much. The quilt finishes at 80 inches square.

Over the weekend I need to get some marking done and tomorrow morning I'm involved in a virtual open day for work. It's really a webinar and should only last an hour. I'm going to intersperse my marking with sewing, that way I don't feel that I've missed out too much on my day off. At some point tomorrow I also want to make some bread.

Take care and stay safe.

Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. That batik rainbow quilt is coming along nicely, Lindsey! I look forward to seeing that one completed.

    ReplyDelete