Thursday 22 April 2021

In the kitchen.


 Welcome to day 4 of the 'in the kitchen' blog hop.  Thank you to Carla from Creatin' in the sticks for organising the hop. I had several possibilities for my project. I need to make a blind for the small window in the kitchen. The room has a large bay window and a while ago I made curtains for that window. However this isn't a priority at the moment so the blind will have to wait a little longer. My second choice was a new oven glove. My old ones have a burn hole in them from where John forgot our ceramic hob was on ......oops. You can see the burn in the photo below.


In my stash I had the fabric with the pretty apron pattern on it and I thought it was perfect. I also had the insul bright in my stash as I'd been meaning to make new oven gloves for ages. I used the old gloves as a pattern. I prefer the long oven gloves with the pocket at each end rather than two separate gloves. I set about cutting my fabric. For each part I needed a front and a back piece of fabric, I piece of insul bright and a piece of wadding. For the long side I used the apron fabric for the front and back but on the pocket pieces I used some left over Christmas fabric as it wouldn't be seen. This was so I had some of the apron fabric to use in a scrappy quilt. It's too pretty to use in an area where it won't be seen.


Next job was to layer each part, Fabric insul bright, wadding and backing fabric. The insul bright can be used either side up according to the instructions. Once pinned in place I marked my quilting lines with my Frixon pen. It didn't take long to complete the quilting. I attached the binding to the cuff of the pockets and then stitched the pockets on to the back or is it the front of the gloves. I had a choice of fabrics for the binding and finally settled on orange. It was tricky attaching the binding, especially around the curves, as all those layers made it quite thick but eventually it was done. My stitches where I've stitched the binding down by hand aren't very neat but my fingers were sore from stitching down the binding on the baby quilt.


These will stop my fingers getting burnt when taking things out of the oven.

A while back I had agreed to make oven gloves for Katy and I had the perfect fabric to use. It was perfect because of the cats. Katy prefers individual gloves so that's what I'm making. I haven't finished them but then I only decided to start making them on Tuesday evening and I was working yesterday. Here is the progress to date.


One side of the gloves is the red fabric and the other is the beige. The lining for each glove is the pink check fabric. Tomorrow I'll stitch down the binding on the wrist band and stitch the gloves together. I'll be using more of the black fabric as the binding.

Now you need to visit the other blogs taking part today. Here is today's schedule.

Thursday, April 22nd


I can't wait until tomorrow evening when I can sit down and work my way though all the posts. I'm excited to see what everyone made. 

Take care

Lyndsey


 









29 comments:

  1. Cute oven gloves. The long one would be very handy, and easily kept up with. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that apron fabric! Also, I have never used an oven mitt like the one above. I might have to make one and try it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cook doesn’t love new oven gloves! The apron and glove fabric is so cute. The cat mits are also going to be so nice. This blog hop was a perfect excuse to get our kitchens spruced up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apron fabric was perfect for your oven mitts! The cat mitts are going to be adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great oven gloves. I love the apron and cat fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects! I really love the apron fabric and the oven mitts you made with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made one of the long oven mitts, I should shouldn't I!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never have too many oven gloves, can you? Nice projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful projects. i love your fabrics, especially the aprons. thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had one of those long hot pads but it looks beautiful and useful. The cat fabric on the oven mitts is just too cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy's new oven gloves are going to be SEW cute!! I haven't tried that style that you prefer. Is there a pattern link that you can recommend, Lyndsey?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice projects! I really like your oven mitts with the apron fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice hot pads! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely & very needed when baking. My friend Joy who participated in this blog hop also had a very good item too. Very clever ladies. Take care & stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer the long two handed oven gloves too, as you have made. They are fun to make, I've even used up some selvedge strips on one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the two handed but I’ve never actually used it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great projects. Isn't it grand to have new things to use in the kitchen? I have that same apron fabric - it's great and seems timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pocket mitt, the fabric choice was terrific. The gloves will make a wonderful gift and since they were requested they will definitly be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That apron fabric is just perfect for your oven mitt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need pot holders too. Thank you for sharing your lovely projects. I may want to try one of those longer ones also. Who me burn my fingers??? Never, right!??

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such great projects and just using the old as the template for the new is a great idea. Love your fabric choices too. Thanks for hopping with us for the Kitchen Stitchin' hop!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely projects and using the old as template is the best, if you love the way it works.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfectly pretty oven gloves. I love the fabrics you used. Thank you for sharing. 😉 Carol
    https://quiltschmilt.ca/2021/04/21/in-the-kitchen-stitchin-blog-hop-lineup/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute oven mitts! I love the fabric. I forgot my ceramic stove top was on too one time and set a towel on it, and promptly got a big hole! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those long oven gloves are just the best for keeping us from burning ourselves. Better your glove was toasted and not John! The mitts you have started bring out the kitty lover in me. I love them! Sorry I'm so late responding. Last week was nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. so nice collection never seen before such rare things kitchen linens. thanks for sharing this information.consumer reports best canister vacuum

    ReplyDelete