Thursday 29 April 2021

Trying to finish something

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Here we are, the last day of the month and I've been struggling to complete any sewing for the last few days. I've also not had chance to read many of the blogs I follow. The reason is that I had my second covid 19 vaccination last Saturday and my brain is feeling really tired, my arm hurts and by the end of the day I have a headache. On the plus side I have had both vaccinations and hopefully they will work and help keep me safe from infections when we start teaching face to face in early May. Because my students all work in healthcare most of them are also full vaccinated and they are all looking forward to meeting up again rather than carrying on learning on line.  

Since my last post nothing has really moved forward. I still have to finish off the oven gloves for my daughter. They are still at the same stage they were last week and I was hoping to give them to her tomorrow


I'd cut the fabric for two cushion covers and they are still waiting for me to start work on them.


I did manage to quilt one of the blocks on the Austen Family Quilt last Saturday morning before I had my vaccination. That evening John and I meet up with a couple of friends at our local pub for a drink and dinner. Fortunately the weather was warm since we were sitting outside. It was lovely to see our friends, since the last time we met up was September.

Last Thursday John and I visited the wetland centre at Barnes for a gentle stroll and bird watching.  The birds were all preparing nests or getting cosy with their mate. The drake mallards head was iridescent with a green or purple sheen depending on the angle you looked at them. There were a lot of black headed gulls flying around but their heads look chocolate brown in the picture.


The wetlands is involved in research and breeding programmes. This Eider duck is part of their programme.


There were huge clumps of marsh marigolds. They are so pretty and really brightened up the day.


We spotted this terrapin swimming along. He was probably someone's pet and had been released into the pond. The pond on the local common had several which they caught and moved elsewhere as they were eating the duck eggs.


This white faced duck was also enjoying the weather. I love his light blue beak. I also like the ripples and reflections in this picture. 


There were some adorable Coot chicks with their little red heads.



On Friday I joined Lucy and John on a walk. We drove to the start and then completed a circular route that was 7 miles. We did go wrong once on the route and had to retrace our steps but when we got back to the car my Fitbit was registering an additional 2 miles! We parked in the car park at Bexley Heath station and set off along the road to Danson Park. The park has a large boating lake and on the hill is Danson House, a Georgian mansion. Here we stopped for a coffee and sandwich as it was lunchtime.



On the way to the park we passed the gate into the grounds of the Red house. The Red House was the home of William Morris of the Arts and Crafts movement. John and I want to visit the house later in the year. I took a picture of the blue plaque on the wall at the gate.



The walk took us through parks and woody areas.



These frolicking metal cows were fun.






The last part of the walk was through a bluebell wood. 



Tomorrow, I'm out in the morning but once home, I intend to spend the rest of the day sewing. I've already set my sewing machine up and arranged the pieces I want to work on, ready next to it. I am hoping to get caught up on several of my projects during in May.

Take care

Lyndsey




1 comment:

  1. Hope you begin to feel better from your Covid vaccine, Lyndsey. Best of luck on getting some sewing done today!

    ReplyDelete